12

"Okay, maybe that wasn't my best idea," I admit as we try to catch our breaths after running away from the haunted house.

"Just so we're clear, I told you it was a bad idea from the beginning. You owe me a new weapon and a new banana," Namjoon huffs out.

"Oh, sure. Just remind me on the 30th of February. That's when I get paid," I say, smiling evilly.

"Okay," Namjoon says. "Wait a second..."

"What?" I ask innocently.

Dang it, I really thought I could trick him with that.

"It's only October! You're trying to tell me a date so far off so that I'll forget that you owe me!"

I scoff. "Yes. That's exactly what I was doing, dimples."

He laughs victoriously. "I bet you thought you had me there for a second."

"Oh yeah, I sure did."

"Let's go in there," Namjoon says, changing the subject while I keep myself from laughing.

"The house of mirrors? Sounds cool," I say, shrugging as we make our way over to it.

Once we've entered, I realize how bad of an idea this is. It only took us five minutes to lose our sense of direction and now we're both completely lost.

"We're gonna die," I groan in annoyance as I slump against a mirror.

"I'll save you," Namjoon exclaims in a determined voice.

"Don't you dare," I say, pointing my finger at him. "Let me just die in peace."

"I'll find the way out. I'm a skilled superhero. I've got this!"

After walking around in a large circle for about five minutes while I watch him in confusion, he stops and points in a random direction. "It's this way. I'm sure of it."

I nod and straighten up, folding my arms across my chest as I watch him carefully.

"Go on then," I say, urging him to go in the direction that he's pointing in.

He grins proudly before turning and walking in his chosen direction and face plants directly into a mirror.

"Oh," he says.

I nod my head while pursing my lips. "Yeah. Oh."

"You knew I'd do that, didn't you?" He asks me, a suspicious look on his face.

"Sweetheart, I've come to expect the worst case scenario with everything involving you," I say with a sigh.

"S-sweetheart?" He repeats, blushing intensely underneath his superhero mask.

"I uh... what?" I ask, a blush spreading across my own cheeks.

"I'll try going this way now," he says, clearing his throat awkwardly before swiftly turning on his heel to turn around and go a different way, only to end up walking into another mirror.

"All right, maybe I should try now," I suggest as Namjoon turns to face me, an annoyed look on his face as he rubs his forehead.

"I'd prefer if I did it because we both know you'd only hurt yourself, Isla. I'd rather risk me getting injured," he says and I blush again. "Uh, b-because I'm a superhero and that's w-what superheroes do, I mean."

There's a moment of awkward silence before the sound of children laughing fills our ears and Namjoon looks at me with a terrified look on his face.

"Ghost children!" he squeaks as he runs and hides behind me.

I roll my eyes as the children run past where we're standing and I immediately begin to follow them. "Come on, dimples. We'll get out of here if we follow the children, who are clearly smarter than we are."

"I'm not following the ghost children! Are you insane?!"

"Not ghosts," I assure him as I internally throw myself out of a window. "Let's go."

I pull him after me as we follow the laughter of the "ghost children" and eventually, we make it back outside and I sigh in relief.

"Ew, what the hell is that??" I ask in disgust as I pinch my nostrils closed.

Namjoon sniffs the air. "I don't smell anything... oh! It's your superpower! What do you smell?"

"It smells like sweaty feet," I say, trying not to gag.

"What could that mean? Oh, maybe the ghost children are going to sneak up on us and throw their stinky shoes at us! RUN!" He yells as he takes off in a random direction.

Part of me wants to just leave, honestly.

But for some stupid reason, I chase after him even though he is much faster and very frantic to get away from the ghost children with sweaty feet.

When I see him run around the bouncy castle, I attempt to follow him, but I trip over my own feet right when I get in front of the castle and I fall face first to the ground, getting a face full of stink since I fell right into the pile of shoes that the children playing in the bouncy castle took off before getting inside.

And when I say that they stink... I mean it.

On a physical level. On a spiritual level. The odor coming from these shoes has cleared my sinuses while simultaneously ensuring that I will never be fully alive ever again because after smelling these children's shoes, a part of my soul has died.

"Oops," Namjoon says as he helps me up. "At least I was right about it being children's shoes."

"Namjoon, if I were you, I would run again. Not from the ghost children. From me," I say, glaring at Namjoon and it only takes him a second of hesitation until he's taken off again, and this time, I do leave him behind.

I need a shower and at this point, I'm completely willing to sacrifice Namjoon to the ghost children.

"See ya, dimples!" I yell in the direction he ran off in before turning around and quickly making my way to the exit, hoping that he won't catch up with me and cause another disaster.

But he does catch up.

He runs up behind me once I've made it onto the sidewalk and hugs me from behind, holding me tightly. "I'm sorry, Isla. I didn't mean to. Really."

Damn him and his stupid adorable self.

I groan and turn myself around so I can give him a proper hug. "Why are we so disastrous?"

"Those fucking shrimp," he says and I gasp dramatically.

"Potty mouth," I say jokingly.

"Sorry this date was kind of a failure. I promise once we find the shrimp people and figure out how to reverse all of this, I'll take you on a super cool date completely free of coffee, porn, shoes, weapons, mirrors, and lucky pencils," he says, grinning at me so his dimples peek through on his cheeks.

Good lord. I have a crush on a clumsy superhero. And I'm not even mad about it.