Chapter 18

•Dionne POV•

I was sat at my desk, kind of just trying to process... everything. I'd thrown on a large shirt and biker shorts and now I was combing my fingers through my damp curls, just zoning out almost entirely instead of deciding what protective style I wanted to do. I almost didn't realise just how long Calum had been gone, until I heard the door knock and I'd still not sorted my hair out. I gave up and just threw my hair up into a bun as I walked over and opened the door, crossing my arms over my chest once again as Calum entered my room.

Calum walked past me and I shut the door, suddenly feeling too self conscious to look him in the eye. I bit my lip and looked around nervously, fiddling with my hands and locking my eyes onto my bed to keep my focus. Hey, I think my plushies are pretty interesting.

"...What did you wanna talk about?" I finally asked after the silence got too much for me. I looked up at Calum and saw that he was holding his hand to his chin, almost covering his mouth as if he was figuring something out. Then his eyes fell on me.

"Oh, yeah. It's about earlier." He started, clearing his throat and moving to take a seat on my bed. "Uh- so obviously, I went out into the back garden and had a smoke, and spoke with Michael. And when I came back in, I bumped into your friend - Sameera?" He asked unsurely, and I felt my heart sink slightly. Everything that happened with her last night had kind of slipped my mind... until now, of course. And now I'm terrified that she'd said something to Calum, like she did to me.
"So she looked pretty surprised to see me, which I get. But like- it was weird."

"...It was?" I asked awkwardly, deciding to sit in my desk chair instead of standing up like a weirdo the whole time. "What happened?"

"She kinda looked... confused. Then mad? Or irritated, I don't know- oh and her and Blaire were whispering together. I don't know what they said though..." He furrowed his eyebrows as he asked, and I found myself frowning and muttering "oh god..."
That did not sound good.
"Does Sameera not like me or something?" He suddenly asked as he laid down flat on my bed, resting one ankle across the other knee and staring at the ceiling above him as he did. I just wondered... how the fuck do I answer that? I don't even think I know the real answer.

"I don't think it's that..." I said warily, feeling myself begin to pick at my nails. "She's just being... weird." I sighed, leaning forward with my elbows on my knees and holding my face.

"...You spoke to her last night, didn't you? ...Before we left the club." Calum asked hesitantly, and my lips parted in slight surprise - I didn't know that he knew that, but I suppose it makes sense. Before I could respond, Calum spoke again, probably taking my hesitation as a general lack of an answer. "When you came back, you were acting different. I didn't know why but I did wonder... And then Sameera looked at me-... like that, this morning, and I figured maybe it was about me." I was kind of glad at this point that I couldn't see his face, and that he couldn't see mine, because I was just in a state of shock and uncertainty - I really had no idea how to respond.

"It's... it's not necessarily about you." I said, clearing my throat and impulsively biting my nails. "She was just being extra last night, and probably the same this morning. I... I wouldn't worry about her. Whatever it is she thinks." I shook my head despite the fact that he couldn't see me. Not long after, though, he pushed himself up from that laying position and made eye contact with me.

"Do you worry about her?" He asked, catching me off guard. "What she thinks, I mean. Are you worried what she might be thinking?"

"Uh... yeah, I guess so. She's one of my best friend so her opinion does mean a lot..." I pursed my lips, unfortunately thinking of the opinion she decided to share last night - just because it means a lot doesn't mean I agree with it.