Chapter 02

Seven Years Of Separation

———

The first thing she felt when she woke up was the warmth tightly embracing her. Evelyn blinked, slowly opening her eyes. As her vision cleared, a man’s elegant face appeared before her.

“…Eve, do you want to sleep a little more?” The man reached out and gently stroked her cheek. Evelyn smiled at his affectionate touch.

“I’m fine. Rather, are you leaving the empire today? ”

“Yes. It may take a while to finish business and return, but… " Islay slightly lowered his head and kissed her forehead. A lazy voice tickled her ears.

“…You will wait for me, won’t you?” Evelyn didn’t answer him, and Islay didn’t ask her further, knowing not to rush her, only rubbing her shoulders in comfort.

“I’ll miss you so much,” he whispered. Evelyn looked at Islay, as if to inscribe his face into her eyes.

His silky, soft hair strewn like gold thread on a pillow.
His black pupils showed his confidence in her, never thinking to part.

“You know, Lay,” Evelyn suddenly said. It was an impulsive act, quite unlike her usual self. She quietly sat up.

“…Eve, is there something wrong?”

Can I really tell him?

Evelyn touched her stomach out of habit.

Her menstruation hadn’t come in two months. She had completely thought it wasn’t possible when she visited the doctor, but had received the very answer she hadn’t wanted.

I’m pregnant.

Upon thinking of such an abrupt announcement, she swallowed those words. Evelyn had never thought about leeching off of Islay with a child.

So then, is there no other solution except for aborting the child…

But then she bit her lips at that. The very thought of erasing a child’s existence had made goosebumps run down
her spine.

“I, actually.” Her mouth was dry. She didn’t have the confidence to tell Islay.

What will happen if I tell him? Wouldn’t his soft gaze turn into one of contempt?

She trembled.

“…I’m pregnant with your child.”

Evelyn closed her eyes. She didn’t have the courage to face him.

But then.

“Really! Are you telling me the truth?”

She heard a voice full of joy instead.

What, what did he say?

Surprised, Evelyn lifted her head. Islay was looking at her, his face bright with joy.

“Eve!”

“Ye-yes?”

Islay tightly hugged her to his chest, and showered with a dozen kisses on her face.

Evelyn felt her heart beat quickly. As she stared off in a daze, Islay sweetly whispered into her ear.

“Let’s live happily ever after.”

But as soon as she heard that, Evelyn realized.

Ah, this is all a dream.

She opened her eyes.