Chapter 17

" And what about Uncle Lay?"

Islay could not deny her calm voice.

He will protect their mother and daughter himself, and the outward harm will be prevented.

However, he could not block the backbiting, hateful and contemptuous eyes that spread behind his back.

And Evelyn and Bianca will have to deal with the damage.

"And even if the Duke promises to protect me and Bianca."

Towards the stunned black eyes looking at me, Evelyn continued in a bitter voice.

"A family that doesn't welcome my mother and daughter...... I don't want to take Bianca with me."

"Eve."

"Before, you asked me if I didn't trust you."

Evelyn already seemed to have decided to draw a line on him once again.

The way he connected his words in a determined voice was like that.

"At the time, I was just saying it was because the relationship ended seven years ago, but......yes, that's right."

With no trust left in his eyes, the amber-colored eyes seemed to penetrate his heart.

"I don't trust you, Duke. No, I don't exactly believe in your environment."

Staring unshakably at the collapsed face of Islay, Evelyn continued.

"The Duke being Bianca's father means that to me."

There was a glacial silence.

Evelyn did not shy away from Islay's gaze and responded.

Rather, it was Islay who avoided her eyes.

Unable to bring any words out of his mouth, Islay chewed on the soft flesh in his mouth.

Knowing that any word was just an excuse or a false promise to Evelyn.

The two endured the heavy silence of the moment, bearing their own feelings.

"By the way, it's already time to pick up Bianca."

After a while, a glimpse of the time, she opened her mouth strangely.

"......I'll take you."

Even with a confused face, Islay hastily tried to follow in the footsteps of Evelyn, who was lifting himself up.