4. OH, IM ON FIRE

AFTER WE GOT TO JJ's we stayed for a bit and waited for any news about John B. A text from Kie let's us know they're both okay so I decide to go back home for a bit. I'm sitting in my bed thinking about the last 24 hours. Of course, it's worse for John B right now but it's reminding me of the shit that went on last year. Adrien. Him putting a gun to JJ and I.

  My dad—Weston, I mean. My fucking siblings. It was just constant shit and I have a feeling that's gonna happen again, just worse. A knock on a door interrupts my thoughts, "Who is it?"

"Blake!" I sigh, "Come in." I stare at my brother in the doorway, "What do you want?" I realize his expression seems worried so I sit up on the bed. "Sam, Weston is on the island."

   Fuck. No, no. I was having such a good time. Blake and Vanessa cut off Weston once they heard the whole story of his abuse. I can't move. I feel frozen. "H—How do you know?" I don't look at Blake. "He was spotted doing some work with two guys. They're dangerous apparently so who knows what he's gotten into."

Two guys? Dangerous?

"Is there a description of these guys?" This time I turn to Blake but he just shrugs his shoulders. "Nope. Just two guys. Be careful please." It can't be the square groupers. Has Weston really fallen that far? Does he even know they're chasing me and my friends? Does he even care?

A beep is heard outside my window. Blake gets up to check and he lets out a laugh,"Boyfriend and friends are here. Go with them." I try my best to smile as I put on my shoes and run downstairs to the van. "Get in here!"

"More treasure hunting with a criminal?" I joke. "You know it, now let's go get Kie."

We drive up to The Wreck.

"She says she's not coming!" Pope shouts. "Why not? What'd you do to her, John B?" JJ looks towards our friend who just curses, "Hang on, I'll deal with it!"

I scoff, "You fucking better." John B gets out and Pope gets it. I go behind JJ in the passenger seat and plant a kiss on his cheek and I can feel him smile and Pope groans. "Hi..."

"Hi," I smile at him. "Gross." I'm scared to tell JJ my dad is back because I know he'll get ten times more protective when we've discussed that he doesn't need to be.

   After a minute or two Kie and John B get back in and we make our way to the next secret location. JJ waves the blunt around we've been sharing the whole drive, "Mind if I relax on this one? It's been a long day and a lot of weird stuff has gone down. I'm just gonna lay low—did you want a hit?" JJ offers it to Pope knowing he'll say no. "I keep the signal clear," Pope replies. "Dude, do you understand that your problem is that you don't get creative? If you got creative, then—"

  I take the blunt from JJ and inhale it as John B talks, "Look, I know I was wrong about the lighthouse and pretty much wrong about everything else but I'm right about my dad trying to tell me something." I lose focus as we pull into the cemetery, "I'm about to get my ass eaten by spirits. Can we discuss this later?" JJ looks at me, "You're into that, sunshine?"

"No—just get out of the van," I push JJ out. "John B, what are we doing?" Kie quietly asks.

"Shut up!" JB yells. It's pitch black, the only light source is our lanterns. "You know how you try to remember a song but you can't? Well, this whole time I was looking for a place. It's a person." John B shines his light on one of those graves that looks like a house and in bold letters it's read, REDFIELD. The overgrown vines that entangle it adds to the creepy factor. "Voi-effing-la," JJ whispers.

"See, my great-great-grandmother Olivia Redfield. That was her maiden name," John B explains.

  I stare at the grave. "Nice to meet you, John B's grandmother!" I laugh at myself and eventually JJ joins me. Might be a bit too high to take this seriously. Kie nudges me and we both stop laughing. "Hell with the door." We all grunt as we try to open the cement fucking door. It's no use—

HISS

  I let out a scream at the sight of the snake emerging from a crack. "That's a moccasin, alright. Ye ol' cottonmouth. Death in tall grass!" JJ starts barking and we all yell at him. "J!"

"You're gonna wake the dead man!" Pope's joke makes me nearly die of laughter. Maybe being high at a cemetery is a good idea. I can check it off my list at least. Whatever list it is. "They're afraid of dogs. Everyone knows that. Wait, hold up. If there's one there could be dozens." That ruins my mood and my face drops. "You're scaring me!" Kie yells as JJ continues barking. "Stop barking at the snakes!" John B yells. "We're not gonna get in there. It's not budging," Pope whispers.

  I stare at the small gap and maybe it's the weed but I convince myself I can get in there. Shit, I really can get in there. Fuck. He owes me big time for this. "Guys—" They continue to argue, "Guys!" They stop and stare at me. "I can get in there." I stare at the four of them but JJ immediately shoots it down,"No! No! What if there's another snake?"

"Sam, this is too risky—" I cut John B off, "Then, I'll fucking bark at it—I can get in. This is about your dad and as crazy as all this shit is, if it somehow gives you closure. I'll do it." John B and I stare at each other. Let me help you, John B.

"Babe—"

"You're not stopping me JJ, boost me up." JJ bites his lip but decides the argument isn't worth it. We move the branches enough so I can get it.

  I'll probably regret this as soon as I'm in a dark room with a dead lady but fuck it. "I'm gonna boost you. Seen it in the movies many times. Ready?" JJ puts his hands out and I take a deep breath, "Don't let me fucking die morons! And tell me what we're looking for?" I look at John B again. "You'll know it when you see it."

I blink at him a few times, "Okay. Vague. Great. Hold my flashlight, Pope." I push myself on JJ and get in the hole. A second in the darkness is enough to make me panic, "Pope!" I stick my hand out quickly for the flashlight and he hands it to me.

  I immediately turn it on and look at everything around me. "Sam? You alive?" I hear Kie ask. "Yeah, your grandma has some nice digs, John B and I need some more light."

"Yeah, I gotcha," John B puts his lantern in the area and it helps tremendously. I take a look around and gasp. "Holy shit."