37. THE FEELINGS START TO ROT

    IT IS HOURS LATER when JJ finally puts the shovel down and the casket is covered up.

"I just don't get it. I mean, you guys saw the map. He hides his gold so no one finds it for 170 years. And then he sends a message to his son Robert to come here to his mother's grave, but the message never gets to him. Denmark wanted him to find the cross. I know we're in the right spot!" Pope paces and rants, "It just feels like—"

  "Like we missed something?" JJ says from the van.

My back is currently against the tree as the sun shines through. The North Carolina slight heat hits my skin. "Guys. Come here," JJ starts climbing the damn van and I get up to walk over to him. "Babe, what are you doing?" I block my eyes from the sun. "There he goes," John B whispers. Kie climbs the van right next to JJ. "Hey, what are y'all doing?" Bailey is now on the van as well. "Why do we need three people on the van?" I ask.

There's a hole in the tree—oh—like in the painting.

   "That looks like—"

  "The painting in the island room," Kie finishes. "You gonna put your hand in there?" I ask JJ. "It's worth a shot, right?" He responds. "If you wake up a squirrel family, that's your problem," Bailey throws her hands up. "Let's do it," John B says.

  JJ steps back, "Go for it," He tells Bailey and Kie. "No chance."

  "Go fuck your self, JJ."

  "You do it!" Sarah tells JJ. "Sorry, I went into the storm drain so...." Kie makes a point. "She did go into the storm drain," Pope reiterates. JJ rolls his eyes, "What did Bailey do?"

  "Patched up your girlfriend," She throws her hands on her hips. "Good point, Bails," I say. "Yeah. No, I'm gonna do it. It's just...."

  Kie whispers, "He's scared."

  "Definitely," I nod. "I'm not scared, dude."

  "You seem scared," Bailey teases him. JJ hesitates to put his hand in the hole but he eventually just shoves his hand in. I watch in fear and curiosity as my boyfriend keeps his hands in the hole. 

  "There's something in here," JJ shoves his hands further in. "What is it, JJ?" I ask and lean up against the van. "Wait." A scream erupts from JJ. My heart drops. I panic and climb up the van, "Babe?" Everyone starts shouting as he screams and Kie and I grab JJ to try and get him out. "JJ!" I tug on his jacket as he struggles. My palms are sweaty as my heart rate increases and JJ's screams fill my head.

   All the sudden, he starts laughing. JJ starts laughing. "What the hell?" I let go of his coat. "Oh, you asshole," Pope curses at him. He chuckles and smiles, "Oh, man! I got all of you on that one!"

  "You're such an ass, JJ!" Bailey pushes him. "Maybank, what is wrong with you?" I use his last name against him and everyone erupts into ohhhs. "You're in trouble," Sarah whispers.