38. ARE WE IN THE CLEAR YET?

KIE HONKS THE HORN as we approach the rest of the group

The truck backs up so we can grab The Twinkie. "Where the hell were you guys?" Pope shouts with open arms as Kie and I get out of the truck. I look at the others and notice the blood on John B and Bailey. Clearly they're hurt. What the hell?

   "Paternal complications," Kie points at JJ. "Luke decided to stop by the Chateau," I explain a bit clearer. "Oh, great! While you were having family time with your pops, John B and Bailey got bit by a gator!" Pope yells. My hand goes to my mouth. "Like, for real?" JJ asks, too stunned to believe it. "Does it look like we're joking?" Sarah points to the two and their injured legs. "Bailey," Kie runs up to her and gently grabs her leg. The bite mark is giant and doesn't look good at all. "How—how the hell?" I step towards John B. My eyes stay on the ripped pant leg. "What happened? We were bit by a gator!"

"They got bit by a gator!"

"Okay, I dunno why I'm being yelled at! I asked a question because I am stunned that I come back to two of my friends bit by a fucking GATOR!" I throw my hands in the air. Every bit of tension is a wire snapping. "And I just put my ass on the line!" Kie yells while still having a hold on Bailey. "Oh, yeah," Pope gestures to the two girls ,"when were you two gonna tell us that? That you two are dating!" Pope shouts. I puff the air into my cheeks. A known nervous tick. "You're being yelled at because it was 20 minutes—"

"Why do we have to tell you guys immediately?" Bailey now shouts. This is one of the worst times to start arguing. I run my hands through my hair in frustration. Their voices are making my head pound. My eyes find JJ's and the sadness in his matches mine. "We got here as fast as we could and we didn't say anything because of Pope!" Kie's words make me sigh and walk towards the truck. My body falls onto it. Their voices mix together when the yelling gets louder.

"SHUT UP!" JJ yells so loud my heart falls to my ass. They immediately stop yelling, thankfully. JJ turns to me and then back to the group, "Seriously, guys, I can't take it anymore, alright? Everyone just cut it out for a second," He chuckles slightly and leans against the tree in front of me.

Them fighting is the last thing he needed.

"Look, I just helped my dad leave this island for good. Like, he's not ever coming back. He's straight up like the Spanish. Just, 'Bon voyage.'"

That's not the right—I'll just stay quiet. Let him have his moment.

   "All we got...And I know for a fact all I got is you guys, okay? You're it," His ocean eyes look over each of us, "And I've come too close to losing you, all of you. I mean, shit, you almost drowned," He gestures to Kie, "Pope, you were kidnapped. Sarah, you've been shot. John B and Bailey, you were almost dinner for a gator," JJ turns to me with a sad smile, "And you, sunshine? Your psycho dad is after you all the time. I'm at risk of losing you all the fucking time!" His hands covered in rings fall to his sides, "So, this blaming each other is some Kook-ass bullshit, alright? We don't do that. Okay, we're Pogues. Sorry, that was a lot right now," JJ finishes.