34. HIT THE TONE, COCK IT BACK

"I SAW THE FUCKING GUN!" Blake gestures to the box

   "I SAW THE FUCKING GUN!" Blake gestures to the box. "It's—JJ's! I have to keep it here!" Please believe this. Please, guys.

   "Why? Because of The Cameron's?" Vanessa whisperers the last name. It makes me giggle, "Why'd you whisper their name?"

  "I hear if you say it three times, it summons a little rich bitch," Blake whispers again. Vanessa tries to go around me again but I step in front of her. "Sam, what the hell? Seriously!" Vanessa groans.

  "Okay, so, why?" He asks again. "Incase the cops search his house. Luke is in trouble again," The lie rolls off my tongue. It's believable. Vanessa raises her eyebrow and looks me up and down, "What now?"

  "Drugs. Obviously. Listen, don't tell anyone!" I hold his shoulders and look into his eyes. "I won't. I swear," Blake holds out his pinky. I smile at it like a little kid and pinky promise Blake. Then, I turn to Vanessa, "Please," I put my pinky out to her.

   She narrows her eyes at me, "I don't like the idea of you with a gun."

   "Good. Neither do I," I put my pinky out further. She blows air out of her nose and wraps her pinky with mine.

   My back lays against the floor of the HMS Pogue. John B on my left and Pope on my right. Just three heartbroken assholes. "Am I pushing him away?" I ask the two boys. "You're both stupid," John B doesn't look at me. Our eyes staring up into the starry sky. "I don't get it," John B whispers. Sarah had freaked out and broken up with John B. I'm sure it's her fears—she loves John B too much.

   Pops lets out a deep sigh, "Love is five minutes of pleasure for a lifetime of pain."

    I sit there and take in Pope's words. I'm just scared because I worry I'll push JJ away so much, he just gives up. "Wow," John B says.

  "Wait, Pope, you only lasted 5 minutes?" I turn my head and whisper to him. Pope closes his eyes tightly and lets out another sigh, "Stop."

  "So okay, you and Kie. What's going on? You and JJ? Talk to me," John B says. "You go first, Pope!" I put my hand up as a cue for him to start.

"Uh...Well...she just wants to be friends. Pretty sure she and Bailey are a thing again."

  I slide down more on the boat. Shit.

  "Death blow," John B sighs, "Oh no. I'm sorry, man."

   "Yeah, sorry, Pope. Shit happens," I say sliding even further down. "I didn't even see it coming."

  How—how did he not? I keep my mouth shut and let him think it wasn't obvious. "Sam?" John B nudges me with his leg. "Hm? Oh. He keeps saying jail doesn't matter and it makes me feel like I don't matter enough to him to stay out of trouble," I blink a few times. They both sigh loudly.