24. MISS ME WITH THAT BULLSHIT

BY THE TIME WE got to the station, it was dark and we all smelt so fucking bad

BY THE TIME WE got to the station, it was dark and we all smelt so fucking bad. JJ places the gun right in front of Shoupe. "So, you're telling me, this is the firearm, Rafe shot Peterkin with?"

"That's exactly what we're telling you," JJ says. "The exact same firearm that Ward used to kill Gavin as well!" Pope adds on. My clothes are sticking to me but I ignore it for the sake of throwing Rafe and Ward in jail. "Where's that corpse again?" Shoupe asks. "You didn't look?" I push in between Pope and JJ. Why the hell didn't they look? "I check the hospital. I went by his house. He was out—"

"He was out?" Kie yells. "That's not right, Shoupe!" Bailey yells after. "Maybe it's because he's dead!" Shoupe rolls his eyes at me. We all start yelling at how bullshit this is. "Just because he's not in his damn home, does not mean he's a victim of homicide!"

"What are you talking about?"

"You gotta be kidding!"

"Are you at least gonna send it in for ballistics and shit, or are you just gonna sit on your ass?" Kie yells at him. I lean against his shitty desk and stare at him in his shitty face, "You realize you're letting murder go by? On your island? You really suck at your job!"

"Nah, all he'll do is sit there and wax that mustache. Is that even real?" JJ yells over my shoulder and I hide the giggle. Shoupe stand up in defense of his mustache, "I'll wax this—"

"Get your finger out of his face!" I put my body in front of JJ. "Shut up, JJ!" Pope and Bailey get him to be quiet. Shoupe quickly exits his office and I snicker, "Looks like we hurt his feelings, babe," JJ snickers after me. Pope grabs my arm, "Shut up!" Well, now he's mad at me.

Shoupe opens the door, "Get out. I got work to do," He motions his hand but I stay put. "Bro—Shoupe, are you serious?" Bailey crosses her arms. "Yes, I've got work to do and y'all are smellin' up my office!" Cops are such bullshit. It's never about justice—it's who they can help look the best with the best payout. Kie is the first to leave, "Did Ward bribe you? This doesn't make any sense!" She sends him a glare and Bailey follows after her, "Sheriff of the goddamn year."

I stay put even when JJ leaves the office so it's just Pope and I. "Out!" Shoupe yells. Pope and I take a slow step forward. I scan over Shoupe's face, "That's the fucking murder weapon."

"There's no logical reason for you not to send it in," Pope finishes and for a second—a split second, it looks like Shoupe might agree. Just like before.

"Go with your friends." I glare and send daggers through him, "Ridiculous," I walk away from Pope and Shoupe and back to the other three. "This is bullshit!" I shout in the station. It earns me dirty looks from other cops and JJ joining in, "Shitty cops—"

"Let's go. I'm tired of smelling like ass!" Kie tugs both JJ and I away and out of the station.

"Oh, my God! Why do the three of you smell like ass!" As soon as we walk into my doors and saw Vanessa covering her nose, I was rolling my eyes. "Oh, hi to you too, Vanessa!"

Bailey waves, "Sorry, so sorry!" She apologizes as Vanessa sends us all a disgusted look. "Hi, Vanessa," JJ tips his hat. "What is the foul smell—is it you three? What'd you do now?" Brandon puts a hand on his hip while the other holds a wine glass. I blink a few times and sigh, "Anyway, we're gonna go use my shower and the one upstairs—-"

"Do not—make it smell like complete ass up there!" Blake pops out of the woodwork, wine glass in hand as well. "Wow, whole family is here, huh?" Bailey groans and just runs upstairs. "I want the shower first!" JJ runs after Bailey. "There's two showers, dumbass!"

"I want my girlfriend's!" My bedroom door slams and I sigh. I won't even get my own bathroom. "Okay, so, explain," The three stare at me. If I wasn't so tired, I'd think of a stupid or rude comment but, I smell like shit. I'm tired. My head hurts. "I cannot—right now. Later!"

"You smell like absolute ass and won't tell us why?" Vanessa, as nosey as ever. "Y'know what? I don't care, really, just clean yourself, immediately!" Brandon walks away and I sigh in relief.

Blake and Vanessa turn to me with a knowing smile. We all yell quietly and wiggle our fingers together. "Please tell me y'all got the gun!" Vanessa whispers. "Yea, we did," The twins celebrate for a second but I have to give the ridiculous news, "Shoupe thinks it's bullshit. I don't think he's even gonna test it."

Their faces drop. "What? That's stupid! That's his job when given evidence!" Blake runs his hard through his hair. "Believe me, I know. We all gave him shit for it. Now, I need to shower before a worm comes out of my hooja," I turn away from them and up the stairs. I run to my room to grab clothes and see JJ standing impatiently. "You lost the race?" I grab a hoodie and some shorts. "She's got like, some sort of powers."

What?

I raise an eyebrow, "Power?"

"Yeah, like fast gay powers." What is he on about? I snort and turn towards JJ again, "Gay powers? Do I have gay powers?" He pauses as if it's a viable thing and he has to think about whether or not I truly have them.

"Yes, you look better in flannels than I do!" He walks closer to me and hugs me from behind but I jump away. "I am not combining our stink. Get away, cowboy!" I giggle and push him away, "Also, bad stereotype but thanks."

"We can smell together, sunshine." He snakes his arms around me again but I giggle and push him away, "I'm using my gay powers to push you away until we both shower. Poof!" I wiggle my fingers at him and leave my room and head for the shower.