26. WHAT'S BEEN HAPPENIN' IN YOUR WORLD?

The houses get bigger and bigger the deeper we go into Charleston

The houses get bigger and bigger the deeper we go into Charleston. "They've had like three governors in the family. They've run Charleston for, like, 300 years," Kie recalls from her research. "These Kooks make our Kooks look like Pogues." I chuckle at JJ.

     The truck stops and I stare at the house. Three floors. Three decks. A lot of ways to fall.

"You sure this is right, Pope?" I keep my eyes on the house as I ask. "Pretty sure," He replies. "Oh God, let's hope this isn't a set up y'all," Bailey sighs. I open the truck door and we all get out of the car. I'm still stunned at the big house in front of me. Jesus, I thought Brandon and Justin had a lot of money. There's even gates to the house.

"Talk about high security," JJ grabs my hand as we both stare at the talk fence in front of us. "Well, no way to jump that," I comment. "Are those spikes to keep people out?" I almost cringe at JJ's question knowing exactly what the answer is. "No, JJ," I simply answer. "The slave quarters are over there. These spikes are to keep people in," Pope says. "So—welcoming," Kie sarcastically says.

We open the gate and go to the front doors. "Who's knocking?" I ask. "Pope, obviously," Kie laughs.

This house is so fancy, there's a knocker on the door. Pope uses it and it echoes around us. He steps back, "You think that was too much?"

"It echoed throughout the entire house, that's for sure. So they definitely heard it," JJ replies. "Maybe nobody's home." As Kie says that, Pope knocks again but I step back as the door swings open. A blonde white guy leans on the door frame. I shouldn't be one to judge but he doesn't look like the type to own a house like this. He looks each of us up and down and then points to Pope, "You must be Pope."

His voice is even suspicious. He's just suspicious. This whole thing is suspicious. My guard is up even more. I let go of J's hand and cross my arms. "Are you Mr. Limbrey?" Pope asks. "Ms. Limbrey was expecting you yesterday." The man's attitude makes me roll my eyes. Asshole.

"Oh. I'm sorry. My car broke down on the way here—"

"Carburetor blew up in the middle of Nowheresville," JJ explains for Pope. "Doesn't help the short notice you gave a bunch of teenagers," I tilt my head and press my lips together. I do not like you, blondie with a big house. "Yeah, she was, uh, real upset when you didn't show up."

"We tried to call, but there's no number on the invitation," Kie tries to settle the tension in the air. "We tried to get a state over as fast as we could," Bailey's attitude matches mine. "She also expected you to come alone," He says to us.

Pope stutters, "I—I mean, these are my friends. They helped find the Royal Merchant too. I—"

"Yeah, the instructions were explicit. Your friends can stay outside." JJ and I look at each other. This guy is just weird. "We're kind of a package deal, man—"