15. WATCHING MY YOUTH SLIP AWAY

  "WAKE UP, LOVEBIRDS! WE'VE got gold to scoop!" Kie bangs on the bedroom door making me groan. I'm already up but the loud noise goes straight to my head. JJ has an arm swung over me and his face shoved in a pillow. If I could move my body, I'd take a picture of him. "JJ," I shake him and whisper in his ear, he doesn't move. "JJ!" I yell into his ear and he moves and opens one eye, "What?"

"We've gotta get the gold, babe," I move some hair from his face. The sun makes his blue eyes even bluer. "How's your legs?" I smack his bicep and roll out of bed before I fall asleep again. When I go to take a step I wobble and huff when I realize it'll inflate his ego. "So—"

"Don't. Get dressed and let's help Kie and Pope," I grab the shirt I wore yesterday and the shorts I wore to bed.

"JJ—"

"I'm getting out, calm y'shit." I throw him a white tank top and shorts, "Come on!"

  A few minutes later we're outside making sure the pulley system works. Kie is in the bucket as Pope pulls her up. I'm amazed by Pope's plan. I'm not surprised it works. It's fucking Pope.

   "How's it feeling?" He asks Kie. "Feels good," She replies. JJ and I are sitting in the hot tub. There's inflatables everywhere. If it wasn't due to JJ's breakdown, I'd be happy surrounded by colorful inflatables and sitting in a hot tub. "John B pullin' a Houdini!" JJ yells so the others can hear him. "Yeah, where is he?" Pope shouts back. "He had to do that thing with Ward, maybe he's late," I suggest.

"I've got my scholarship interview tomorrow. We gotta get this done!" Pope is so nervous about his interview and I keep reassuring him he'll be fine but he shakes his head and goes off on a tangent.

   "Speak of the devil!" I turn to see John B marching up. He does not look happy at all. He's not looking at any of us or responding to us as he walks into the house. "What the hell?" I hop out of the hot tub. "Uh...what's that's all about?" Pope asks. "I was gonna ask you the same question," JJ gets out as well and I walk into the house.

When I do, JB is throwing around shit, rummaging for something. "You all right, man? What—what's up?" Pope tries but he doesn't do anything. "Yo, what are you looking for?" I also try but he has tunnel vision. "Bro, what's going on?" JJ asks. John B walks over to the couch and grabs the gun out of it. "Woah, JB. Why do you need the gun?"

"John B, what do you need the gun for?" JJ and I both go over to him. "Just—no!" Kie shouts. "John B—" He shoves both JJ and I onto the bed. JJ and I look at each other and I quickly get up to see him shoving Pope as well.

   "What are you doing?" Kie shouts. "Pope, you okay?" He nods and we all look stunned at John B who is usually the calm and collected one. The one that calms JJ and I down. "John B, stop!" I yell and walk outside with the others. He still hasn't said a word as he starts the dirt bike. "John B, what the hell?"

FUMES [2], jj maybankOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara