32. GIVE THE BRUISES OUT LIKE GIFTS

SO, CURRENTLY EVERYONE COUPLE IN THIS DAMN VAN HAS TENSION

SO, CURRENTLY EVERYONE COUPLE IN THIS DAMN VAN HAS TENSION. Even between the only happy couple, Bailey and Kie.

  "Guys, the thing that Limbrey said, I don't think she meant to let it slip. She said the key leads to the Cross of Santo Domingo," Pope flips the key around. "Wait, can I see that?" JJ puts his arm out for the key. "Are we supposed to know what that is?" Sarah says sarcastically. "I certainly don't," I say as I lean back in my seat. "I'm guessing it's some sort of historical artifact of great importance," Pope states. I just nod my head like I can confirm or deny that fact.

  "Well, according to the interwebs, it was a gift from New Spain to the Spanish King," Kie shows the information on her phone. "Checks out," Bailey smiles.

"New Spain? Is there an Old Spain?" JJ says but everyone just kind of ignores his dumbassery. "Is there a picture of this cross, Kie?" I ask. "Yeah, shit. Talk about over-gifting. Look at that thing," She shows me the picture first. "That's—big," I stare at the comparison of a grown man standing next to the cross. "So, it's a giant ass cross!"

"It was widely considered at the time to be the most extravagant tribute ever from the provinces. It was lost off the coast of Bermuda in 1829," Kie reads off the Wiki. So, why the hell would these Limbrey's want with it.

It got lost in the triangle? Shit. That's gone.

"Did you just say Bermuda?" JJ says from the passenger seat. "Oh, no. Not the triangle," John B corrects him and technically me but we won't talk about it. "It always leads back to the triangle, dude. Like every single time something weird, it's Bermuda!" I roll my eyes but I know if we were on talking terms I'd be verbally agreeing with him.

"Okay, so what does a key from Pope's family have to do with a cross? Two completely different things," I point out. "Where do we come in?" Kie asks Pope. His eyes fall to the ground for a second, "I don't know. That's a good question."

"Well," I watch from behind as Bailey sneakily wraps an arm around Kie's shoulder and mine to I assume, not look suspicious. "We got this. For sure!" She smiles. John B stops the van when we get to where Pope's meemaw is. JJ gets out and opens the van door for us.

I feel my phone vibrate and I quickly pull it out. I'm disappointed when it's not from Piper. To be fair, I told her I never wanna see her again but I also wondered if she had more of an explanation. A small part of me knows it's in hopes I can forgive her. The insta notification almost mocks me. It's where she first texted me. Stupid app.

"Hey, actually, I think I'm gonna do this one by myself," Pope says to Kie. Honestly, good. Old people smell like salami.

  "Are you sure?" Kie hesitates. "Yeah, I can handle it. I don't really need you, so..."

I lean over Kie's shoulder, "The last time we did this, you got jumped, with a taser," I empathize the taser part. Heavily. "Oh, we're just all one big happy family today, aren't we?" JJ claps his hands together. "Yeah..." I whisper and move myself from Kie. Pope walks away and John B says we'll pick him up in a bit.