23. FEEL ALRIGHT

GOING TO THE CAMERON'S house got harder, understandably

GOING TO THE CAMERON'S house got harder, understandably. Ward Cameron is one kill away from a serial killer.

I can't stay long, it's really just a quick check up on her. We plan on finding the gun in the drainage system. The thought of even touching the shit in there makes me scratch at my skin.

The knock on the door is more hesitant than usual. If Ward really saw us, we're fucked. They all said not to go but I just can't leave Wheezie like that. Even Blake advised me not to go and he's the one that encouraged me to talk to Wheezie. Fuck this.

I knock on the door quickly and smile when I second later, Rose answers the door. "Hey, Sam, she's doing something right now but you're welcome to wait," She moves to the side to welcome me in and I take a cautious step in. I feel like I'm in Satan's castle and I'm not even religious. "Uh huh, thanks, Rose."

I should start bringing weapons around the male Cameron's—maybe even Rose.

Every step is like lava and every turn into the kitchen is like a horror movie. I decide to just sit on my phone. It's weird to think Sarah could've sat in any of these barstools and they think she's dead. "Sam?" I jump at Ward Cameron's voice. Fuck. Is there a knife in his hand? I turn slowly. No knife. Dope.

"Hi—"

"How are you? Doin' okay?" I'm resisting the urge to just curse him out. "Fine," I turn back hoping he'll fuck off but nope, he takes a seat next to me. "Can I talk to you about something?"

"If it's about my best friend and your daughter that you basically killed, nope," I sarcastically smile but Ward drops his head and laughs. He pauses, scanning over my face, "If you tell people it was your dad that murdered Big John, I can get him sent away for you—"

"You really think that I'd agree to this? You both killed Big John, John B told us—"

"He has brainwashed all of you—"

I abruptly get up from the barstool, "Oh, fuck you, Ward." He stares at me for a second before shaking his head.

"Sam! Your dad abused you your whole life and you can get him sent away forever and you're not taking that opportunity?" He has this look in his eyes, like he cares but it's manipulation. I take a step forward, "I don't want help from either one of you fucking murders. Stay the hell away from me—"

I feel a stinging across my face and my neck is turned. This fucker, slapped me. Slapped. Me. "Sam, I—I'm so sorry—"

"No wonder Rafe turned out the way he did if you slap kids around like that!" I laugh in shock. I see a switch go off in his eyes but before he can do anything, I hear fast footsteps coming down the stairs. "Sam?" It's Wheezie.

I put on a fake smile, "Hey, Wheez. I'm not staying long, I just wanted to make sure you're all good," I walk away from Ward and towards Wheezie. I hope she doesn't see the slap mark across my face. I reach for her but she automatically goes for a hug. Odd of her but I hug back. Her hand goes lower and my eyes widen. "Girl—" She just pulls me tighter but Ward leaves the room. I can hear his expensive ass shoes fade away. She slips something in my pocket and let's go. "Wheezie, what the hell?" I lean down and whisper. "Open it when you're not here. I'll see you later, text me or something, please," She looks up with worry. Okay....