Chapter 23

Lizz offered to help muck out the barn but I turned her down I had to do this by myself, no I needed to do this by myself. I had to prove to myself that I could do this by myself.

Our barn was a cliche red barn that you would see in a movie. It was cute and had enough room for six normal-sized stalls. There was a small tack room/office and there was a loft that had room to have one bed that when we got in trouble as kids our dad made us sleep up there.

I had slight difficulty sliding open the barn door but I managed to get it open. I didn't need the knee brace but for some reason, I still left it on. I had convinced my doctor that my knee still hurt so I wore the brace.

I walked in and stopped observing the four horses that stood tall in there stalls. The first horse was to my left. Buttercup was my sister's horse. Buttercup was a beautiful 10-year-old Palamino. She was trained to do almost anything and everything rodeo-related, meant to be my dad's horse but he got injured during a rodeo and so Kim got her. Kim loved her, she probably hasn't been ridden since the accident.

The other three are old horses, one is my brother's but the only reason we still have him is because of me. Then there is Tuna a pony I used to ride dressage on and Shrimp, there is a theme in case you couldn't tell, Shrimp was my first ever showjumping horse.

After having a good moment to take in the fact that I was back in the barn I started to muck out grabbing the wheel barrel and the pitchfork. I'm still pretty fast at mucking out I get done in like 20 minutes it's the dumping the water that's hard. I think I lost half my arm mussel while being lazy throughout these past months. Anyways eventually I finish dumping the waters and I filled all the buckets back up. I gave the horses their feed and I finished. I walk out the door and slid it shut behind me. As I'm standing there I smell the rain in the air before it touches my skin but when it does I couldn't help but smile.