Chapter 37

The storm passed, and I sat underneath a tree looking out into the empty field. My phone dead, and my clothes were soaked all the way through clinging to my body in an uncomfortable manner. I was caked in mud, my hair a chaotic mess, the still-wet strands sticking to my tear-stained cheeks.

Buttercup grazing peacefully in the field. I couldn't peel my eyes away from her, not even when I heard the approaching steps of someone. I felt their stare on the back of my head, an uncomfortable silence filled the air. 

I heard his shacky breath as he built the courage to approach a little more. He took a seat beside me, letting out a sigh of relief. I saw him looking at me.

Colton and Kimberly were very similar in many ways, not just in the ways they entertained themselves but even in the looks department. Both had beautiful green eyes and their dirty blonde hair, leaning more towards brown, always caught the light perfectly. They were always the center of attention.

Then you had me the short, pail, showjumper whose boring hazel eyes always hid behind her boring basic light brown hair. I was nothing in comparison to them, I was the boring white wall, but then they were a whole art gallery.

"You know everyone is worried about you." He says looking away from me. "Mom called and told me you were missing I had a good feeling this is where you would be." 

I tried to respond but all I got out was a whimper. The tears were forming again in my eyes. I was convinced I had run out of tears to shed but maybe not.

"You do not have to explain anything to me, I just wanted a chance to apologize for everything. I shouldn't have left like that. I just couldn't handle it anymore, Dad was getting worst and I just couldn't keep taking the hits I needed to escape. I did come back for the funeral, but I didn't see you, so I didn't make an appearance to our parents." He started fidgeting with his hands.

I turn to look at him. He hasn't changed much over the years. He has a scar on his right cheek, his cheekbones seemed hollowed some and his eyes held an unknown weight that glazed them over but deep down he's the same Coulter I grew up with. The same one who left to save his sanity. The one thing I can relate to him with.

"How am I supposed to survive this?" I gasp out in between my breaths. "I can't escape myself I just want a break but I can't get one. I want to bury the past 6 feet under and move on."

"You can't just bury the past, not with something like this. You just need to find the people in your life that are consistent the ones who are with you no matter what. And I know Im probably not one of those people currently but I want to be. I want to be here for you from here on out. And you have Lizz, or at least I hope so because she knows how to break into our house a million different ways." 

I laugh a little at that, I let a small smile form but I couldn't keep it on for long. We settle into a calm silence. The sound of distant thunder rumbling in the back. Buttercup peacefully grazing. 

Coulter stands and puts his hand out to me. "Let's get you home and cleaned up before Mom sends out a whole search party." I let my hand slip into his, the warmth of his hand against my numb shivering one. I missed this. The small moments, the ones I look back on and wonder what happened to us? How did we get here?