Chapter 40

After standing on the porch alone for a bit I build up the courage to go into the house. Colter was sitting at the table in the kitchen drinking coffee. I walk past him towards the fridge and grab water. 

"So Dad didn't kill you?" I sat at the counter looking at him. "If I were him I would've killed you, but he also wants to kill everyone so you know there is that."

"Nah we were working out an agreement, I think I'm going to be in town for a while. I'm going to help him out at the rodeo grounds but I also have been saving and will start raising cattle."

I snarled my nose at him "Eww so I'm going to see you at work now. That's disgusting." 

"You know Dad said something about you not talking since the accident but here you are being annoying and sassy." He says while getting up to get more coffee.

"Mhm, it's called selective speaking, and he was right..." I paused for a second. "I didn't want to hurt anyone else, but then I realized I was making some things worse by not speaking. It's a long story. Also, why would I want to speak to him anyway?"

"Because he's our father, I believe he deserves a second chance despite all the mistakes he has made. I want to see if we can have a real father figure in our lives, and I thought you might want the same."

"I dont know what I want these days."

"Well, you should probably figure that out, cause that boy on the porch seems to know what he wants."

"Oh gosh please stay out of my love life, that's my only request." I state demandingly.

He rolls his eyes and leaves the kitchen. I watch him as he walks out to his truck. He pulls out leaving a trail of dust behind him. I walk over to the shoe shelf and grab my boots and the truck keys. I pull out my phone and text Lizz to meet me at the arena.