Chapter Twenty-Six

EMORY'S POV

I ended up finishing three plates of food. I groan as I touched, Deli, my food belly. I'm happy and satisfied. Adonis stares at me as if I'm crazy.

Was he expecting me to eat salad or just vegetables?

He laughs gently before shaking his head as I shrug my shoulders. Eléonore rises from her seat and says that she is going to the kitchen to grab some dessert. I'm starting to feel like I've been of no use tonight. I offer to help her.

"Do you need help, Eléonore?" I question, and she thinks it over. She gives in and nods her head.

I get up and follow her into the kitchen. She retrieves a molten lava cake from the oven warmer. Eléonore reaches into the freezer for ice cream and into the refrigerator for chocolate moose glasses. I proceeded to help her in grabbing the moose glasses because she already had items in her hand. Before speaking, she gives me a appreciative nod.

"I see why my son is smitten with you. For starters, you're tall, respectful, and capable of eating. You're also self-sufficient; sure, you and Ansel have your own thing going on, but you don't need his money." She explains herself and shifts her gaze to me.

"I can't help myself; I feel this need to protect you. Maybe it's because I've had a few too many glasses of wine, but I like you." She says this with a warm smile on her face.

I swallow my saliva as I clear my throat, unsure of what to say.

How do you respond to a parent who expresses their like for you?

"That means a lot to me because I like Ansel. He's incredibly gentle and considerate. You did an amazing job raising him. He does little things that people may not believe are important, but they are." I say, while staring off into space. When Eléonore appears in front of me, I snap back to reality.

"It makes me happy to hear that. I'd walk out there with my spatula if he wasn't treating you well." She said, making the two of us both laugh.

"Let's get back out there before they cause havoc," she said. I nod as I help her in carrying the dessert to the dining room.

I hand out the chocolate moose when we arrive at the table. Everyone politely says thank you. When I approach Ansel and place the glass front of him, he grabs my hand and kisses it.

"Thank you, darling," he replies, and I blush as I return to my seat.

I feel eyes on me and raise my head to see Elijah staring at me. He was definitely intimidating. I always felt like I was doing something wrong while he was around. To my surprise, he gave me a small smile before eating his molten lava with ice cream.

I appeared to be the first one to finish my dessert. Cher's face was smeared with chocolate when I looked up at her. I laughed loudly and locked my gaze on her.

"Hey Adonis, do you mind if I clean Cher?" I ask for his permission, since I didn't want to do anything to his child without his consent.

He looked at me surprised and nods his head. "Go for it, she can be a pain to clean up when it comes to her face." He warns me, but I ignore it.

I'm good with children.

I lifted Cher from her high chair and placed her on my hip. I take her to the kitchen sink to wash her face. Placing her on the counter, I grab a paper towel and wet it. I return to where I left her and clean her face gently. Knowing kids don't like this process I talk to her.

"What's your favorite animal?" I ask, before she can whine.

"Butterflies because they are so pretty," she says, with a smile on her face. I continue to wipe her face and talk to her, keeping her occupied.