Chapter Thirty

ANSEL'S POV

Our plates were all piled high with pizza. Emory ate pineapple pizza while I stuck to pepperoni. Her pizza selection made me mentally cringe. I've tried it before, and the flavors just don't mix well together. Nolan stuck with the cheese pizza.

At least he was the only normal one here.

But it was a good time, and I enjoyed both Emory's and Nolan's company. We returned to the living room after finishing our meals to play bored games.

The first game we played was uno, which was a lot of fun despite the fact that there were only three of us playing. Since Emory was hitting me with plus twos, I kept hitting her with plus fours. Nolan ended up winning both rounds we played.

He said that uno was 'his shit', and I believed him.

We also played charades and pictionary. It was definitely fun seeing each other act out words without saying anything. I wished that my family could meet Nolan one day before... I shook my head.

Even though it was just the two of them, I could see they had a lot of fun together. They simply had that kind of father-daughter bond that many people wished they had with their fathers.

It was becoming late, and Nolan knew we needed to get going because it had taken us a few hours to get here. He walked into the pantry and pulled out a bunch of snacks and water bottles for the drive.

He was really considerate.

Emory was the first one to snatched it from his grip. I shook my head, her and her food.

"Thank you, dad." Emory added, "We'll definitely be eating these."

Knowing Emory, she probably won't even share any snacks with me.

"Thank you, Nolan," I replied, and he smiled and hugged me tightly.

This family was also huggers, good to know.

We all walked to the front door and put on our shoes. Emory took the snack basket and started walking away.

She spoke up, "I'll be right back dad, I'm going to put this away," and her father nodded.

Nolan smiled again and he looked at me. He drew me into a hug, and now was the time for me to ask.

"Should I tell Emory or will you?" I asked and he pats my back before pulling back from the hug.

"I'll tell her, I just need a few days, you know? It's not easy to tell your daughter that you're about to die." He said and I nodded my head.

He wished to tell Emory himself, therefore, I will not get in the way of that. I believed that he would tell Emory, but I hoped it would be soon.

The guilt I felt for not telling her was already enough.

Emory reappeared, rubbing her hands together. Because it was a little cold outside, I removed my suit jacket and place it on her. She wrapped her arms around my jacket and hugged it tightly.

She approached her father and enveloped him in a strong hug. He accepted the hug and returned the hug with equal vigor. I could see tears gathering as he opened his eyes. Nolan drew back and took her hands in his.

"I love you Emory, please come visit soon!" He exclaimed, and Emory nodded.

"I will, dad, and perhaps you'll get to meet Ansel's family the next time we meet up. They would love you." She says, while sniffing. I agreed with her comment by nodding my head.