Chapter Thirty-One

ANSEL'S POV

Today was supposed to be the day I asked Emory to be my official girlfriend. Why don't we take the next step now that we've been seeing each other for a while?

I was genuinely nervous rather than excited. My mind was filled with questions after questions.

Was it too soon?

What if she says no?

What if the date doesn't go well?

What if she says yes to avoid hurting my feelings?

What if... No, Ansel, stop.

All of these what-if scenarios kept me from getting what I want. From who I want: Emory.

I considered asking my mother for help once more, but I wanted to take full credit for today's date. It was all set up by me.

I scheduled Emory for a spa appointment as well as a manicure and pedicure appointment. I'd give her my credit card so she could go shopping and get whatever she wanted.

Then I'd take her to the Top of the Rock, where I'd reserved the entire building to ourselves so we could eat and take in the sights of New York. After that, music would begin to play, and I would invite her to dance. That's when I'd ask her to be my girlfriend.

In that moment, I'll be praying to God that she says yes.

She'd make me the happiest man on the entire of planet, if she said yes.

EMORY'S POV

The last time I heard from Ansel was when we went to meet my father. Because he is a busy man, I tried not to worry about it. But I couldn't stop myself from overthinking.

Did my father say something to scare Ansel away?

I guess I was just being paranoid. Because they got along so well, I'm simply assuming that Ansel is busy.

I got out of bed and walked into the kitchen to make myself some breakfast. After hearing the doorbell ring, I walked over to the door. When I opened it, I was greeted by an older gentleman bearing flowers, chocolate, and a bag.

"This is for Emory," he replies, his gaze falling onto the note.

With a smile on my face, I say, "That's me." He stares at me, hands me all three objects, and walks away.

This was definitely Ansel's doing.

I reached for the note as I placed the flowers on the table.

"Hello, my love. I know it's been a while since we've seen each other, but I've been busy. Look through the bag and have a good time today. My credit card is the last item in the bag. Go shopping and spend as much money as you desire. I'll come get you at 6 p.m., so be ready." -Ansel

I smiled at his thoughtfulness and opened the small bag to check what's inside. I noticed three cards in the bag. One was a free spa session, another was a free manicure and pedicure appointment, and the third was an expensive-looking black card. Before grabbing it, I paused.

There was no way I was using his card.

My phone rang before I could put the card back in the bag. When I went to get it, I noticed Ansel was calling. With a smile on my face, I replied.

I said, "Hey Ansel."

"Hello, love. I'm assuming my packages have arrived?" He asked, and I returned my gaze to the gifts he had sent.