Chapter 15 - The Curious Case of Axel Auriant

I'm trying to get back to this story so here I am. Enjoy.

===

Chills were sent to Zhao Li An and Edison Song's spines after hearing those words from the kid. Axel was certainly not in the right mind. Was he turning already?

Edison had to step back because he did not want to get near the boy. He did not want to get infected at all!

Aside from this, the decaying fishy smell of black blood from Axel was overwhelming. Edison could not help it but vomit.

Leaning towards a tree after feeling nauseous, he threw up the dinner meal he had earlier.

"You had to vomit next to me! How rude!" the young oak tree shouted in disgust. If the tree could only move, it would have smacked and strangled Edison for his indecency.

"I-I'm sorry. I- I didn't mean to," Edison said as he wiped his mouth with his hand.

"Hmph! Disgusting! Get away from me!" the young tree protested.

Edison was about to remove his hand from the tree, when he had another whiff of the rotting blood from the air. He leaned down again and vomitted to the tree itself.

"AAAAHHHHHHH!" the tree shouted in horror.

"I'm really sorry!" Edison finally removed his hands from the tree. Either he wanted not to disturb the tree anymore or that he did not want to hear its voice anymore.

"Are you okay?" Zhao Li An approached Edison who was sitting on the ground.

"I'm alright. It's just that the smell...," he said finally covering his nose with his hand.

"Here, use my handkerchief and cover your nose with it. It should help mask the smell of the blood," Zhao Li An said as he took out the white handkerchief from his pocket.

"Are you sure? It'll get dirty," Edison replied. Yet, the moment he had another faint whiff of that awful smell of the infected, he gagged. Immediately, grabbing the handkerchief, he covered his nose with it.

Edison's eyes widened. With a muffled sound, he looked at Zhao Li An and asked, "Mint?"

Jack heard him as he gave Edison a quick side-eye.

Zhao Li An did not hear him as he was facing and focusing on Axel who was still busying himself at licking the traces of black blood that was on his harm. There was no care to his surrounding. It was as if that the black was the only thing that mattered to him. The child was acting aggressively with his action towards tasting such filthy blood. Such inconsistent behavior could only be attributed to him turning into an infected.

Unfortunately, there was no way to cure an infected. Before one even turns into an infected after being bitten- they would be killed on the spot. It was logical and moralistic to do so. It was a favor. It was mercy. Besides, fewer infections, the better for humanity.

"Poor child," Zhao Li An thought. He curled his hand into fist due to his frustration. If only there was a way to help him. His grandfather would be devastated.

The questions still remain that have been bothering Zhao Li An... How did the infected get into the city without the military or the police knowing?

This was the same question that Jack was asking himself as he observed the child's behavior.

He has never seen a freshly infected individual to seek or have the appetite for infected blood itself. It was usually the other way around. A fresh infected would usually crave human blood instead.