Chapter 6 - First Case : Phantom Thief Pt. 3

[Day 4 After the Rain of Miracle]

[Location: H City at Taiwan, Taipei]

[Population: 24, 997]

It was 9:00 A.M. and the members of the Supernatural Investigation Department were gathered in their exclusive meeting room. There was dead silence as everyone looked at each report that they just received from the police department earlier this morning.

According to the new report, the still unknown phantom thief or syndicate managed to rob numerous people's homes once again last night.

The details according to the victims remained the same. Only one item was stolen per each victim. Some items that were reported missing were not necessarily expensive or uncommon. In addition, the missing items were once placed in the lower level of shelves and cabinets in their houses. No weird noises were heard during the night and there were no signs of forced entry into the household.

"By the looks of it, we're dealing with one person after all," Shao Fei said.

"Shao Fei, how do you know we're just dealing with one person?" Huang Yi Qi asked as she faced him.

"The pattern remained similar," Shao Fei replied.

"Similar pattern?" Zhao Li An asked as he faced Shao Fei.

Shao Fei nodded.

"Yesterday, when we went to the victims' houses, do you remember where all the stolen items were placed at before?" Shao Fei asked as he faced Zhao Li An.

His partner looked up a bit as he tried to remember, "Hmm, each victim mentioned that the stolen items were placed in the lower level of their shelves and cabinets."

"Correct. I thought that this was a way for the 'syndicate' to test whether such a method would cause a huge commotion or not. By stealing one item in a place where people would not usually pay attention such as the lower level of a shelf or cabinet, they thought that people would not notice. They thought that they could get away from getting attention from the police. But it seemed that it was not the case after all," Shao Fei looked on the report on the table.

"Why do you think so?" Zhao Li An asked.

"If a 'syndicate' does exist, the members should have been aware of the increased security around the city," Shao Fei said.

As he tapped his fingers on the table, he continued, "If this was the case, shouldn't there be lesser robberies from last night?"

Looking at the reports that they have received, there were more than 50 cases of robbery incidents last night.

"That's true. Aside from the increased police force patrolling the area, the chief even set up different checkpoints at different parts of the city. The media even warned the people about the robbery incidents," Huang Yi Qi answered.

"Yet, this 'syndicate' decided to continue robbing people the same way. They should've known that this method of stealing one item per victim doesn't work anymore, but they still did it anyways. Also, If they have no fear of being caught, then why stick with only one item per victim? Why not steal more items from each victim?" Shao Fei continued his explanation.

The members of the S.I.D nodded and understood Shao Fei's point.

"One more point to add," Shao Fei raised his index finger, "Based on the surveys we conducted on people with powers, we know that there were no people who have similar abilities. Now, knowing that all of the robbery cases that we have received these past two days had similar patterns or methods of stealing, it just meant that there should be really just one culprit since there's no way two or more people with different abilities could duplicate such flawless robberies."