Chapter 16 - Jack's Identity

I've added new characters so I added pictures of them here to not make it confusing. Enjoy.

=====

"Jack? What are you doing?" Zhao Li An shouted after gasping.

Jack turned his head towards the little policeman as he pulled the trigger.

A shot was then fired, but it did not sound like the gun that Zhao Li An was used to hearing at the practice gun range back at the police station. It did not have a sound at all, but he did faintly see that something came out of the gun.

"It's a tranquilizer gun," Jack said with a smirk.

"Oh," Zhao Li An scratched the back of his head seemingly embarrassed for his overreaction.

Soon, the child, Axel Auriant, fell forward with a tranquilizer dart attached to his neck.

"Don't go near him. Let the hazmat team take him," Jack said.

Zhao Li An nodded. "What would you do to him?"

"He would be under observation," Jack said.

"Wh-what kind of observation?"

Jack was aware that Zhao Li An was concerned about the well-being of the kid.

Reassuring him, he replied, "Don't worry, I assure you that he would be well taken care of as much as we can. But if he does turn into an infected, we'd have no choice but to..."

Jack turned his head towards the kid then back to Zhao Li An. He didn't finish his sentence.

Of course, for Zhao Li An, he understood the implication. To stop the further spread of the virus, the source must be destroyed. If Axel did turn into infected, then that would be the end for him. He was quite unsure how Axel's grandfather would handle such news.

"Hazmat Team coming through!"

Four people covered in a full-covered yellow suit with oxygen tanks behind their backs and full masks came and began to assess the area. With hand-held detectors, they searched for traces of blood of any sorts that were on the individuals currently present: Jack, Zhao Li An, and Edison.

"It's a safety protocol, please understand," Jack said to the two. Each of the hazmat team members came and checked the three while the extra member went to secure the child who was lying on the grassy area. He had a backpack and a pushcart that has a huge container on it. Removing some equipment from his backpack, the hazmat member examined the boy.

"Clear. No signs of infection here."

"Clear as well."

"Clear."

The three people in their hazmat suits then proceeded to help examine Axel.

"Currently no signs of infection, despite visible blood stains and digestion from the infected."

Upon further inspection, they found that the child did not show any signs of abnormality or turning into one of the infected.

"We shall take him to the lab for further examination," said the hazmat member checking on Axel.

"Yes, Captain Ye Xing Si!" the three members of the Hazmat Team saluted.