Chapter 7

People greet her in passing, introducing themselves or just giving a polite hello. It is weird feeling so welcomed by everyone. She had been sure that the pack would be wary of them at first, maybe even a little standoffish. Instead, they just sort of accepted them as pack without issue. It makes something warm expand inside her chest and the last of her trepidation about the change melts away.

Eventually, Amara finds herself outside and comes across a garden. It is breathtaking, full of beautiful ancient trees forming a sort of canopy to veil it from the bright summer sun. It is very well maintained with flowers of every kind and color.

In the middle, there's a circular fountain with swing-like benches around it. That area nestled within the heart of the garden is almost completely hidden from view, giving a sense of peace and security as if you are in a completely different place, transported from the here and now.

The atmosphere is so tranquil that Amara searches out the perfect lounging spot on a patch of grass between rose bushes and lays down. The grass beneath her is plush and doesn't feel scratchy or irritating against her skin. The scent of blooming flowers surround her and she shuts her eyes, enjoying how her mind seems to quiet.

In the distance, she can hear laughter and the murmur of voices but the foliage keeps most of it out. Opening her eyes, Amara cracks the copy of Blood & Chocolate that she had taken from the pack library. This is in no way her first time reading it but it sucks her in every time. She gets lost in the pages, not paying attention to the passing of time.

The sun has shifted when Amara is jolted out f her reading when something plops onto her, making her gasp and jump. Small giggles fill the air and she looks down to see a little girl scrambling over Amara and a boy chasing her. “Hide me from the monster!” the girl squeals and it brings a smile to the older girl's lips.

Amara sets her book down and hugs the little girl, hopping up and carrying her away. “That’s not fair!” the boy cries out with laughter in his voice. “You can’t catch us!” the girl yells back, her arms now circling Amara’s neck and honestly, the interaction is almost too adorable for Amara to take.

The kids taunt each other back and forth, the girl yelping any time he gets too close. “Hold on tight cub” Amara instructs, running out of the secluded garden with the boy hot on their heels. She hasn’t felt this carefree in ages and it makes her feel like she is a kid again just like them.

Breaking through the trees, they spot a group of kids with Sina. They must have run off, too involved in their own game to worry about straying from the group. “Incoming!” Amara calls out and Sina looks up. There is shock on her face which quickly morphs into laughter. The other kids notice and run over. Some try to help and get between them and the boy, others get in the way hoping to slow them down so the boy has a fighting chance.

“Jump on them!” One of the children yells and Amara slightly panics. Well, shit. Perhaps this wasn’t the best idea she had ever had.

“No! I think that is enough” Sina tries to calm things down but the kids are too amped up to follow directions. They stop their separate assaults and unite to climb onto Amara and she really stood no chance. Thankfully, they are still on grass so no one gets hurt and Amara makes sure to twist so she doesn’t land on the little girl still in her arms.

Giggles, shouts of triumph, and high fives go around the group but Amara rolls onto her back attempting to catch her breath, smiling at their excitement. The sun is suddenly blocked from her view and she squints. Standing over her is an apologetic looking Sina although there is mirth in her eyes. “Need a hand?” she offers and Amara gladly accepts, standing up with a grunt.

“If anyone asks, they were burly old wrestlers and it still took them all to take me down” Amara gives the redhead a mock threatening look, and Sina giggles behind her hand before schooling her features into a serious expression and nods solemnly.

“Let's play freeze tag now. The new big sis is it!” One of the cubs exclaims and they all scatter. It takes Amara longer than she would like to admit to realize they mean her. The two young women share a look before Sina shrugs and runs off to hide as well. Guess that’s game on then!

It is an incredibly exhausted Amara who face plants into bed that night. She had a blast playing with all of the cubs. At some point, she and Sina had become a team so it had been them against the kids. They had all gone home to their parents all tuckered out which she is sure the older shifters greatly appreciated. Many of the little ones had made Amara promise to come back and play with them soon. It was a new experience for Amara but she loved it and fell asleep that night with a smile on her face.