Chapter 42

The sun is setting and all the players are in place. Carter and Kane are positioned outside of pack territory to the East ready to move when the time is right. Min is also in position roughly North West still within our territory close enough that he can catch the rogues scent and track him from a distance without being noticed.

Just as the last rays of sun are disappearing beyond the horizon, Maddox receives the first message through the mind link. Trap set comes the voice of the guard who was tasked with setting the stage for the prisoners' escape.

They don't have to wait long before he takes the bait. On the hunt, Northbound relays Min so Carter and Kane can give chase from the opposite direction. Not only will they be close enough to come to Min’s aid if necessary but if the rogue changes direction they will have men on both sides.

Heard is Carter's response. Maddox hates not being out there. He want to be with his guys but in this instance, the right move was for him to stay back. That doesn't erase any of the sting or frustration of not being at the front keeping them safe.

He stashed a bag five miles outside territory lines. Retrieved it. Still moving Northbound towards the city.

Maddox wonders what could be in the bag. Perhaps clothes, weapons, or a way to contact his people. Those would seem to be the most obvious choices. Moving into the city will be both good and bad. It will be harder for their men to be noticed but it also means plenty of people which makes keeping a visual more complicated.

For a while, things are silent making him antsy. Maddox almost sighs in relief when a message comes through. Stopped at a cafe in the city. Removed a phone from the bag and made a call. Ambient noise drowned most of the conversation out but I caught the gist of it. He relayed his escape and is waiting for pick up Min explains getting right to the point.

We are on your 3 o'clock approximately thirty meters away with a full visual on the rogue Kane informs Min of their position. Now they sit and wait on high alert in case there's any indicator they have been found out. A trap is unlikely given the crowded public place he chose, most likely as a safety precaution for himself on the off chance they caught onto his escape and found him.

Black car approaching, the rogue has stood and the car is coming to a stop in front of the cafe Min alerts the rest. Copy comes Carter's voice. Maddox’s body is so tense that he can practically feel every muscle in it. This is the moment of truth. Either they catch the best break possible or they end up empty-handed with no prisoner to leverage.

The window is lowering, I don't have a clear visual in. Do you? Min asks hurriedly. We have a clear view in, there is a man most likely another rogue Kane informs. Are there any distinguishing marks? any way we can track them? We need something Maddox sends back.

The door is opening and our rogue got in. They are taking off, I will follow at a distance. My fucking view was obscured. Tell me you got something C the frustration in Min’s voice is palpable even through the mind link.

I got something but if it's real things just got ugly is Carter's grim response. Say it Maddox commands needing to know. When the one inside opened the door I caught a glimpse of his ring. A moon wrapped in thorns with a ruby in the center he answers plainly but the implication hits hard and Maddox has to take a second to come to terms with what that could possibly mean.

Is that supposed to mean something? Min asks clearly not knowing what the symbol represents and Maddox is not surprised as many don't. It is the symbol of a rebel faction that was led by the ulfhednar  Kane explains after a pause. It has not been seen since they waged war against our previous King and killed him along with his family Maddox finishes off and the silence that follows is heavy.

The tragedy that saw the King die along with all of the shifter wolf royals is not talked about often. After that, the council was established and the previous King’s brother took over the throne. Not even the fate of the King's children was known although they were presumed dead. The grief of their race was so deep that the events of the war have been left in the past. Most of the wolves their age and younger know little to nothing about it. Some are young enough that they have never known a time before the council.

The sacrifice that was made on that day to stop the rebel faction ushered in a time of peace for their kind without the threat of the ulfhednar. To think that some of the rebel faction survived and has built back up to possibly stage another full-scale attack for power is indeed a foreboding thought.

They are headed Westward into more secluded territory Min cuts through his thoughts. Turn back Maddox orders. We may be able to stay on their trail if we are cautious replies Kane.

No, return home. From what we have found out it would be a risk to have you confronted on your own in an isolated area. If there really is a group of ulfhednar there with their faction, they will catch on to you. It is time to come home.

Any relief Maddox thought he would gain from getting answers is nonexistent. The knowledge is important but it is also confirmation that this issue is infinitely more complicated than anything they had imagined. The danger is more real than they had thought. they got a clue as to who although not anyone specifically but they are still missing the why. Something just feels off about it. Why start with them? Why not go for the crown as they did before?

The princess line could be real or a ploy to distract them from whatever the real objective is. Now they are left with more questions than answers. Maddox stands firmly in place with the group of trusted Enforcers he had readied just in case. He will not send them off until Carter, Min and Kane arrive back safely.

The night has a chill that digs into your flesh. The usual comforting caress of the moon now feels ominous and cold. So many worries fly through his mind that he struggles to quiet them all. Now is not the time to let the uncertainty get to him. They will face this head-on as they have always faced any challenge, threat, or adversity placed in their path.

Maddox finds himself centered once again by the time the men arrive. They look serious and there is a storm brewing behind Carter's crystal eyes but he nods at them and congratulates them on a successful mission and job well done. They may not like what was found out but they carried out their task and got us the intel they needed.

Telling them they will meet after everyone gets some sleep, Maddox sends them off to eat and rest with morning fast approaching. Needing to quiet his thoughts, he finds his feet unconsciously taking him to Amara’s room. He knows damn well she has to be asleep but still, he slips into the room needing the calm that her presence provides.

His original intention was to stay for a minute or two then leave unnoticed so he didn’t disturb her much needed sleep. Unfortunately, that was ruined when he reached down to stroke Amara’s hair. He turns to go before she rouses but it’s too late. Maddox feels her delicate fingers grasp onto his and he looks back to see her still laying but trying to blink the sleep away and focus.

"Did everything go well?" Amara mumbles still trying to break through the fog of sleep. "I have no idea what you mean, we just had a routine training," Maddox says while squatting down by the bed so he is closer to her eye level, his fingers now playing lazily with hers. "I'm young, not dumb. I can read Carter pretty well" His little wolf whispers sassily, now a little more awake.

"Few people have ever been able to read Carter. We put a plan into motion. Everyone is fine and resting now" her body melts with relief and he feels a swell of emotion at the genuine care and concern she has for his men and their pack.

Leaning forward, he places a kiss on her forehead and goes to leave but Amara’s hand stops him once again. Maddox raises an eyebrow questioningly and she scoots back making space and pulls the covers back. Without a word, he takes the silent invitation and removes his shoes before sliding in.

Maddox lays down and pulls Amara to him. No more than thirty seconds later she is slumbering peacefully. Letting all the tension fall away he enjoys the feel of his mate in his arms. He had needed this more than he could admit. With his little wolf in his arms, Maddox is able to momentarily shut everything out and get some real sleep before having to deal with this new information.