Chapter 9

Wracking her brain, Amara does her best to remember the general vicinity of the Alphas office from comments Sina had made. She quickly comes to regret not having asked Carter to at least point her in the right direction and curses her impulsiveness. She ends up taking a few wrong turns, at one point she ends up at a home theater that she didn't know existed. Eventually, by the grace of some higher power, she reaches the correct area.

Amara recognizes a couple of higher-ranking pack members milling around discussing this or that. The doors to their meeting room are open and you can see it is currently empty. She spots the heavy oak doors with the Alphas initials and assumes that has to be his office.

She isn’t exactly sure what she had expected. Amara had never been part of a pack so she could only assume that perhaps there would be a secretary of some sort with a desk outside the door. Having to state your name and the reason for needing an audience. Maybe even having to make an appointment or receive permission to speak to the Alpha. Truth is, there was none of that. No one looked at their newest pack member as if she were out of place. In fact, they all just carried on with their business.

Shrugging to herself, Amara walks up to the imposing doors with no difficulty or questioning and knocks on them. There is a lump firmly wedged in her throat now. Just chill out! This is totally fine. Just don’t jump the man and everything will be peachy. The pep talk doesn’t really instill all that much confidence but, fuck it, it’s all she's got.

A strong commanding voice beckons her in and she swallows, trying her best to feel at ease. Get it together Amara! you are literally walking in, handing a file over, then walking right back out. No need to be a wimp about nothing.

As confidently as she can, Amara walks in and closes the door behind her. She catches a slight twitch of the eyebrow, most likely in curiosity. After all, one doesn't simply come here without reason on a regular basis. She steps forward and lightly bows her head before looking back up "Good morning Alpha Maddox, I was asked by Carter to drop this off at your office". She waves the folder and wonders if she can just leave it on the desk and go. That would probably seem rude though. She can’t exactly tell the man that she has to run cause being this close to him clouds her mind and makes her want to lick his skin.

Maddox shifts his weight back, his large leather office chair reclining just a bit. One of his elbows rests on the arm while the other taps against the desk. "I understand. Did he say why he wanted you to do it?" He feels inclined to ask but he knows damn well that Carter would never reveal whatever he was actually hoping to accomplish. Madd loves his Beta but the bastard always had a hidden agenda and rarely showed his cards before he was ready to.

In this case, he would gladly let it go. Whatever the reason, it led to his beautiful mate standing in his office. Her scent, so seductive and enticing, is quickly filling the room and he knows smelling her all day was going to drive him up the fucking wall. He wouldn’t have it any other way though. The only thing better would be to be able to march over and lift her up, devouring her lips in a bruising kiss and laying her down on his desk.
"Not really. I'm pretty sure it was a coincidence. We ran into each other and he was in a hurry. Asking me seemed convenient".

Her answer is reasonable but Maddox knows better. They had talked about their schedules this morning and Carter wouldn’t have a meeting for another hour. He keeps that to himself though. Instead, he nods silently, eyes drinking in the sumptuous beauty. So innocent and unaware of the yearning in his blood, and need in his soul.

Her Alpha stands and he truly is a sight to behold. An alluring mix of strength and roguish beauty with the hint of a tattoo peeking out from the collar of his shirt. As he walks her way, she quickly catches herself eyeing him openly and does her best to look around so he doesn’t notice. That could have been so awkward. Honestly, you'd think she had never seen a handsome man before. If she was being honest with herself, she could admit that although she had seen good looking men before, none of them could hold a candle to her Alpha.

His looks alone are captivating but it's his entire being that calls to her. The mischievous eyes and sinful smile, his moments of seriousness along with the wicked sense of humor she got a little taste of a few nights prior. Those are the things that really intrigue her. There is more than meets the eye with Maddox and it makes her want to uncover it. Layer by layer.

That is an impulse she keeps strictly at bay. Amara can't help it though, each time he gets near it sends her pulse racing. She can never quite tell what he is thinking or what the expression is behind his piercing eyes. There is no time to prepare herself for his proximity before Maddox is standing before her, casually studying her then letting out something between a sigh and a chuckle. She chances a look into his eyes and tries not to get lost in them.

Maddox stops within touching distance of the object of his affection. The little minx is barely a couple of inches away and has to look up at him, baring her tantalizing neck. He can see the effect he has on her even without the mating bond fully forming. His nostrils flare when the sweet hint of arousal hits him and he has to smother a growl. The she-wolf would be the death of him and she doesn’t even fucking know it. Soon, he will have her. Only that reminder echoing in his head placates his wolf and keeps him from taking her as his right then and there.

"Are you happy?" His imposing voice cuts through Amara’s less than innocent thoughts. Instead of speaking, she simply blinks stupidly, not quite sure how to answer that. Everything about him is muddling her senses. He is close enough that she can sway forward and press against him. She could swear that yellow flashes in the depths of his eyes giving away how close to the surface his wolf is. That train of thought leaves her as soon as his hand lifts and gently cups her face, his calloused thumb stroking her cheek. Amara’s eyes close and she nuzzles against his hand.

Maddox’s brain is obviously working better than hers because she had forgotten there had even been a question. He must have sensed as much because he adds "Are you settling into the pack well, little wolf?"

Of course, that is what he meant. Maddox must think her a complete airhead, she definitely would. She has the urge to laugh at herself but only lets a soft giggle escape under her breath, with a shake of her head hoping to clear it. Her eyes reluctantly open, licking her lips to work up the will to pull away from this man and hide how breathless she is. How badly she needs him. How she never wants him to quit touching her.

"It’s...awesome. Everything. Great" are the eloquent words she pushes out through the fog of whatever this trance is. Her cheeks are hot and most likely bright red. His eyes flash momentarily and she can see his jaw tense as if he is biting down. Her hand comes up and rests on his broad chest. She can feel the rumble of a low growl vibrating underneath it now and the action pleases the wolf inside her.

“I want you happy here Amara. I want you to love this pack the way I do. To make it your home. I want you here...always” he whispers fiercely. Something shifts in the air, their breathes sync up until they are breathing as one. His hand slides from her cheek to grasp the back of her neck.

Maddox leans down further and Amara’s lips part in anticipation, her fist clenching his shirt, a soft erotic whimper leaves her, bringing a smirk full of lust and promise to her Alpha’s lips that are just about to brush against hers and fuck does she want to close the gap already.

The heavy office doors bang open behind them, breaking the charged moment, and the two jump back from each other. Maddox stares down whoever just walked in, looking incredibly irritated at the interruption. Amara, on the other hand, takes it as her ticket out. Quickly, she practically shoves the file that she had nearly dropped during their moment at him and mutters a goodbye.

As she pulls away, Amara notices that the person who had so casually waltzed in was their pack Gamma Min and the look on his face was rather bemused. She childishly sticks her tongue out at him before slipping out and hearing his snicker get cut off by the closing of the doors. What the fuck What the fuck What the fuck Is the only thing running through her head.