Chapter 38

On the edge of sleep after the day of peace and warmth, Amara feels a shot of adrenaline shoot through her. She opens her mouth but can’t speak and her body won’t respond the way she wants it to. She begins to tremble and Maddox hastily sits up and turns the light on, pulling Amara closer as he frantically tries to get through to her. He looks into eyes that are wide open but have gone milky white and swirling as if a fog has descended inside them.

Distant vicious sounds of battle grow closer as a woman with short curls holds a crying newborn in her arms, blood staining the sheets of the bed she is laying on. Roars and growls filter through, creating a horrific symphony with the babes cries. The smell of blood, ash, and sage is thick in the air even within the chamber. A mother holds her child close and allows herself to shed a tear before handing the baby over to a man and woman obscured by darkness. The mother removes a necklace and lays the pendant in the man's hand, closing his fingers around it with a watery smile.

Bodies litter the ground, wolves with throat ripped out and flanks clawed open. A desperate urge to find someone, weapon in hand, dress stained in blood. Fire and destruction follow everywhere and the woman could collapse from her grief but she keeps moving and fighting, never ceasing her search.

Tearful goodbyes as an older child wails for his family that he will never see again. He runs as he was told to. A violet-eyed man looks at the boy with devastation as he battles a group of rogues so the boy can get away. He silently prays that the gods can forgive him for failing the boy after his loves had tasked him with getting their precious son to safety.

The first fallen leaves are covered in gore, the trees bearing witness to betrayal. A couple clutching at each other in their last moments. A boy collapsing in a forest, clutching a pendant dangling from his necklace, hurt and bloody with locked memories that will evade him like water through fingers. A baby sleeping fitfully in the back of a fleeing car, a couple with obscured faces allowing silent tears to slip through stoney masks while they drive towards some precarious future without the people they love.

“...ARA!”

With a frenzied gasp, Amara claws at her throat taking desperate drags of air. Maddox’s agitated calls finally break through the flashes of disturbing images. He grabs her hands to stop Amara from hurting herself in this manic state. “Shh Shh baby, I’ve got you. Breathe sweetheart...yes, that’s it. You’re here with me, come back to me little wolf” he keeps a steady stream of reassurances going, grounding Amara to the here and now, allowing her mind to settle back in her body.

Once she is fully back in the present, Amara throws her arms around her Alpha’s neck and sobs. She sheds painful tears for the people in her vision. Their struggle and deaths feel raw and bone-deep. Maddox soothes her until her eyes run dry, her hand clutching the pendant obscured by her nightshirt as the little fallen boy had been.

“Do you want to talk about it?” Madd whispers, fingers smoothing comfortingly down her back. She honestly isn’t sure what to say or if she can even open her mouth without pure grief flowing out so she lays her hand on his shoulder and drifts. The clues within other visions, or whatever these are, had always been disjointed and a little confusing. This one was different, the clues so much clearer. Still, she had more questions with answers she can’t quite understand but isn’t stupid enough to not draw some conclusion.

Pulling her necklace free, she traces it with her thumb. With lost eyes, she looks up at her mate who watches her intently. “This...this isn’t the first time but none of the episodes had been this intense. I’m-I need to just” she starts pulling away, restlessness tugging at her but Maddox wraps his arms around her, his scent anchoring her. “I think it’s time you go see Carter. He might not have a lot of answers little wolf, but you will have better luck together than apart. When you’re ready to tell me exactly what is being shown to you, I will be here to listen and help.”

Amara merely nods, too exhausted to do anything or continue to think and turn things over in her head, spiraling in circles of pain and confusion. She knows it is time to confront her parents but first, she has to figure out where they even are. Carter also plays a role in all of this and the saddened blue eyes of a lost little boy come back to mind and she shuts her own, hoping she is wrong about her suspicions. Maddox lays them both back and continues to ease her anxieties until they both fall into a fitful sleep.

After a few hours, Amara lays awake in bed. She watches her mate sleep and sighs, needing to move. With a soft kiss on his kiss, she carefully slides out of bed. Draped over a chair is her fluffy robe so she throws it on over her shorts and nightshirt. Slipping into slippers, she quietly leaves the room.

In the dead of night, the pack house is silent but there is something tranquil in the stillness. Through the window, she catches far-off glimpses of people on patrol and it brings a measure of safety to her racing mind. She could have been walking around aimlessly for minutes or hours when a car door shutting caught her attention.

Unable to quell her curiosity, Amara slinks over to the front windows. Instantly, she recognizes the silhouettes. Without a second thought, she races over to the front door and yanks it open, running out until she crashes into waiting arms. Her weird vision thing is forgotten as she breathes in the scent of her dad and draws comfort from the hug. Ulrik rests his chin on her head and for a moment, everything is okay again.

The moment of peace is broken when hands yank her back and start patting her all over, seemingly checking her over for injuries. “What is wrong with you? What the fuck were you thinking?! We expected you to stay within pack territory, safe! Why the hell would you go to the COUNCIL?” Her mom questions managing to sound both worried and pissed.

Amara swats her hands away and steps back. “Nice to see you too MOM. What’s your problem? Yes, I went to the council, I was asked to. Why is that such a big deal? Why would it matter if I leave pack territory? What aren’t you telling me? I know there’s more. I know I keep getting these memories or visions and this pendant is in it so please, stop lying to me” she is practically begging at the end. Upset and confused and a little pissed at her mom’s tone.

“Watch your tone! All we do is to protect YOU in every way we can. We don’t have to explain ourselves. Who do you thin-”

“Enough” Ulrik cuts in, stopping whatever his wife was going to say. She had been running on worry and adrenaline since they were able to read the texts from Amara and Silas. She is speaking from an emotional place and nothing good can come from that at the moment.

“Amara, forgive Elsie, please. It is late and we’re just worried. We can’t...I know you have questions but it is not the time yet. We love you, never doubt that. Just, be patient.” he implores.

“Not the time? All of this directly affects me. I’m not a child anymore. Apparently, I’m in more danger not knowing whatever it is you are trying to shield me from. Please! I can’t take this anymore. Something is coming and I’m the idiot left in the dark with nothing to go on” Amara pleads, desperate for answers and to not lose the faith she has in her parents. Or, who she has always thought were her parents but it is seeming less and less likely if she is interpreting her vision correctly.

The married couple looks at each other and has some kind of silent conversation. Their faces are grim, Elsie wrapping her arms around her waist but refusing to meet Amara’s gaze. They both stay silent and that is answer enough. Amara feels tears well up in her eyes but clenches her jaw, refusing to cry. “I see. Goodnight” she pushes through the lump in her throat and turns away, marching into the house.

Behind her, Ulrik calls out but she keeps walking. It looks like Amara will be left to find her own answers and it will start with speaking to Carter in the morning. Whatever is happening, her parents have kept the secret for too long. It is obvious that they will continue to unless it becomes absolutely necessary to divulge any information.

Amara suspects that nothing short of an immediate life or death scenario will be deemed important enough. Instead of going back to bed, Amara makes her way through the house and out to the woods. Shifting, she runs and tries to clear her mind. She will need her wits if she is going to accomplish anything.

The woods are empty save for whatever Enforcers are patrolling. Thankfully, they merely acknowledge her but allow Amara to keep running as long as she stays within a reasonable area. Instinct takes her back to the clearing where she always meets Maddox. By then, her fur is sweat-soaked from exertion and she is dying to cool off. Shifting back, she doesn’t bother putting her clothes on. The location makes it fairly private so she doubts she will be seen by anyone if she takes a dip in the river to cool off before heading back inside.

The scent of coffee, leather, and cedar precedes Maddox, alerting her to his approaching presence. Not paying him any mind, for now, Amara submerges herself under, enjoying the way the cool water feels against her heated skin. Under the tranquil stream, all sound is dampened and she feels at peace as if it is doing the same with her racing thoughts.

When she finally emerges giving in to her body's need for air, Maddox is leaning up against a tree. He is watching her with smoldering eyes but there is lingering worry in them as well emphasized by the slight tightness around his lips and Amara hates that she is the cause for it.

"I wanted to cool off from the run. Would you like to join me?" she offers, trying to act as relaxed and carefree as she can to put him at ease. Hopefully, he will forget her complete breakdown just hours ago. At the moment, she doesn’t want to talk about it. She would much rather seek comfort and strength in his arms.

There is momentary silence but Maddox seems to sense what she needs so instead of asking if she wants to talk, he makes his way over. the water rippling as he enters. "That was a bold move, I definitely was not expecting to find you skinny dipping at the crack of dawn."

"It's just a swim is all. Besides, I have to keep you on your toes. Can't be too predictable or you'll get bored" she tries to come off flirty and casual but has no idea if she came even close to succeeding cause she is mostly just tired. "Now that could never happen," he says earnestly, voice deep but tender around the edges. A tone he seems to only use with her and it makes her little heart want to cry.

Gliding forward his hands slide up her sides making her soften in his hold, goosebumps now covering her skin. His head dips, eyes as clear and green as the trees around them bathed in sunlight. Angling her face up, she feels herself being pulled like they are two magnets fated to join, lips only an inch away from each other.

What happened next catches her so off guard that she can't even react. One moment Amara thinks she is about to be kissed and the next she is flying back through the air and landing with a splash into the water. When she comes up for air, Maddox has laughter in his eyes and a devilish smile on his lips.

"Oh, it's on now" Amara declares before splashing him with water. A full-on water war ensues with them splashing and dunking each other. The pair of mates play like kids and laugh until their sides hurt. Some touches happened here and there but all innocent. Ultimately, Amara loses when Maddox wraps his arms around her effectively pinning her to his body making it impossible for her to slip away as she had before.

Amara’s back is against his chest. She stops struggling and with the last few giggles lean her head back against him. For a minute they stay like that and her Alpha rests his chin atop her head. "You're so beautiful" his voice is barely a whisper but she hears it clearly.

"You're pretty alright yourself" she replies teasingly. A low chuckle rumbled in his chest "I'll take what I can get. It is probably time we head back. As nice as this feels I am but a man and you are a beautiful naked woman in my arms. I would love to do something about that little wolf but I do have meetings this morning."

Amara bites on her bottom lip to suppress a smile at his words. One of his hands slides up and Maddox smooths out her bottom lip from the grasp of her teeth and groans letting her go. "Go on and start dressing, I just need a second" He releases Amara and goes to turn but she stops him before he does.

Placing her hands on his shoulders she uses the leverage to raise up and plant a small kiss on his lips. It is chaste and soft, not meant to start anything. “Thank you. You have no idea how much I needed to get pulled out of my own head” she breathes and Maddox lovingly brushes his fingertips over her cheek and gives a soft smile. “I’ll always be here sweetheart” he replies and kisses her opposite cheek.

Drifting back, Amara finally does as he said and exits trying to find her footing so she doesn't slip and fall. By the time she is done dressing, Madd is out and pulling his pants on. Her little sidetrack means they will be walking back in wet clothes but it was totally worth it.

"Does the princess require carrying today?" the now clothed Maddox inquired jokingly. "As nice as that sounds I only allow others to carry me when I'm unconscious." she sticks her tongue out, pulling a chuckle out of him.

No carrying was done but they did walk back together with Maddox keeping a hand on her back. When they reach the tree line it was wordlessly understood that they would break apart and he would wait to come in after she was already up the stairs. Right before walking away, Maddox plants another tender kiss on her cheek with a wink and a self-satisfied smile.

Walking into the house she can still feel her Alpha’s eyes on her and it makes her feel weirdly safe and grounded. Honestly, she just wants to go back and run into his arms but resists, making the trek up the stairs and into her own bedroom to discard her wet clothing and get ready for some much-needed sleep despite it being morning.