Chapter 35

Later on, as they lay in bed wrapped in each other's arms, she sleepily turns to face Maddox, fingers coming up to run over his beard. "At the end of the week is my birthday...I don't really know details but Sina and my Alesha are planning something after we get dinner-" Maddox stays quiet but looks expectantly at her. Apparently, he isn't going to make this easy on her. Why can't he fill in the blank? He is so insufferable in the best ways. "-Will you be there? Not that you have to or anything. I was just wonderi-"

She is cut off by a lingering kiss "I wouldn't miss it for anything in the world but, I think this is a chance for you to have fun and make connections of your own without me hovering. The pack will celebrate a couple of days after your actual birthday since apparently, our mothers have been secretly teaming up to plan it. Enjoy the special night my little wolf. I’ll make sure you get your gift before leaving.”

Amara wants to grumble and whine but she understands what he is saying and a part of her is thankful that he trusts her to go out and have fun on her birthday without him needing to be there. Didn’t she want some independence? Latching onto Madd isn’t the way to do that. She is still building these friendships, friendships that are all hers. This wonderful wolf knows that his presence will change the atmosphere whether he means to or not and that night is supposed to be about her. There will be other opportunities for him to join in, hopefully with Min and Carter as well, but after she has already found her place among the pack.

She hopes her eyes are conveying all of her thoughts and it is a happy woman who curls up against her man’s chest, drifting off to the feel of lips on her temple and a whispered goodnight.

Over the next couple of days, the deeper she delves into the journal, the more interesting it becomes. It is so strange, reading these accounts being written as they're happening from such an insider's viewpoint. The Kings aren't just listing off factual events but instead adding their own musings and turmoil. It is history from an intimate perspective and it makes it all seem more real and personal.

It is also interesting how much the writing styles differ. You can almost feel the given King's personality in the way they write and what they choose to focus on. Amara had been reading since the morning and had yet to make an enormous amount of progress. She had fallen asleep reading it the night before, alone in her bed for the first time in days since Maddox was needed away from the pack house. Come morning, she picked up right where she had left off.

The details they were able to fit within these pages are amazing and Amara wishes she had been alive to know each King. One thing that has become abundantly clear is that every King, despite their vast differences and spanning many generations, has one thing in common. Sacrifice. Each King has had to know sacrifice in some form. Each has had to bear the weight of remaining strong while having to sacrifice more than the people they lead would ever know.

They no longer feel like historical figures to her but real living breathing men that she feels connected to. Any time she puts it down, she keeps being pulled back to it. Either way, she is forced to put it down to get ready to meet up with Sina, Kaede, and Alesha to get her birthday night started. She had wanted to see Maddox before leaving, to look into his eyes now that she has officially turned twenty-one and hopefully feel a mate bond fully snap into place.

Another disappointment so far was the lack of response from her parents. They had said they would be gone a week which would have been yesterday and also mentioned being here for her birthday which didn’t happen. She figures her mom might have meant the party she was planning with Fia but it doesn’t change how much she misses them. She does her best not to worry, delays happen. If there is no word in a couple of days then she will head out to search for them herself if need be.

With a sigh, she tucks the journal in a safe hiding spot in her closet and tries to bring her mood back up as she reaches for the dress she had bought for tonight with her mom. Spur of the moment, she decides to leave the dress for the pack celebration and instead reached for a sleek little black dress. It fits her perfectly, going a little past mid-thigh with an exposed back and thin straps.

She had straightened her hair the day before to switch up her look and pulls it back now into a sleek high ponytail that goes well with her more glowy bronze makeup. Simple silver hoops and accessories along with black strappy heels finish off the outfit. Turning in front of the mirror, Amara feels sexy and ready to have a blast. On her way out of the house with a clutch in hand, she feels electricity travel over her skin and practically forces her to turn around.

Time stops, everything goes hazy, and yet hyper focuses all at once. An involuntary gasp leaves her lips and she can not break eye contact with Maddox, her mate. Elation is too mild a word for what she is feeling and sees it mirrored in her gorgeous Alpha. Amara steps forward to go to him when she is broken out of the trance by Sina tugging her arm and dragging her out without realizing what had just happened. The last glimpse she catches of Maddox is him looking at her longingly with that damned smirk on his lips.