Chapter 27

The last hour has been the strangest mix of emotions Maddox had ever encountered. He went from frustration at the report from Kane to surprised joy at finally getting Amara alone again. Then watching her undress took him to lust-filled heights that tested his control closely followed by a sense of calm, finally getting to see Amara in her wolf form.

She is beautiful and regal with fur a gleaming bronze, eyes bright and piercing like lightning. Reaching out, he carefully strokes the fur on her head feeling her nudge against his hand. How he wishes they could communicate. His own wolf claws at his insides begging to be let free so they can run together. He sits and watches Amara until her graceful form slides up against him and nudges against his leg.

Maddox laughs at his little mate's insistent prodding and nuzzling against any parts of his body. When she licks his neck, he finally gives in. With a dark growl, he gently pushes her back and strips before shifting. His wolf is black as night and dwarfs Amara’s small wolf. The pair rub up against each other and Maddox has to do everything in his power not to place a claiming bite on her neck.

Amara unknowingly saves them both by playfully biting at his flank then running off. Maddox gives her a head start before giving chase until he pins her down. They go back and forth like this until the moon has shifted in the sky and his little wolf has tired out, laying down on the mossy ground.

He had needed this so fuckin bad and had not even realized it. Amara was right. The tension that had been building throughout the week from all of the bullshit surrounding the rogue had kept him on edge and all of that energy needed to go somewhere. Now, he feels centered again and ready to deal with everything again come morning.

Maddox allows himself a moment to curl around the bronze beauty and feel her heat against his larger form before he shifts back and smoothly pulls his clothes back on. "Looks like it may be time to shift back little wolf. It's been a long night and you need to rest doll." Amara nudges him with her head, evidently not wanting to move.

"Sleeping outside isn't an option with current conditions and we make it a rule not to be in wolf form inside the house. If you're too tired to walk you can shift back and I'll happily carry you naked up to bed." It may have sounded like teasing but he damn sure meant it. Carrying her up to his bed instead sounded like an even better idea.

After a minute, Amara moves to where her clothes were piled and shifts back without difficulty but the thought of the night ending already makes something inside her seize uncomfortably. She can tell that Maddox averted his eyes this time and she feels unreasonably irritated to not have them on her anymore. With a deep breath, she decides it is time to just do what she wants without overthinking.

She hypes herself up while dressing. You got this, mama didn’t raise no bitch flits across her mind, closely followed by, god that was awful, thank fuck no one could hear that. There is no going back now so she steps gracefully towards Maddox and he looks momentarily taken aback when she goes around, wraps her arms around his neck, and hugs him. There is something so attractive about how he has to slightly lower himself, clearly allowing her the liberty.

"I think I’ll take you up on that offer. I don’t really feel like walking. Think you can carry me, Alpha?" Amara breathes out and maintains eye contact despite how nervous and jittery she feels but backing down is not an option for her here. “As you wish” he jokes but the glow of his eyes and desire in his voice is clear as day.

Maddox soaks in her warmth, her scent, the feel of her hair tumbling forward to brush against his neck as he easily lifts her into his arms. He memorizes every bit of her before forcing himself to start walking back towards the pack house. He had been dying to get his minx back in his arms, awake this time. Soon, he will have to leave her in her bedroom once again and return to his bed alone but at least it will be with her scent on his skin and the memory of her body pressed against his.

Amara wars with herself while she lays her head on his broad shoulder and breathes in the scent that is distinctly Maddox. Something like hazelnut coffee, leather, and cedar. Masculine, indulgent, and so so yummy. He must be listening carefully because they avoid running into anyone on patrol. When he takes the turn towards her room, Amara knows it is now or never. “Not there” she barely whispers but knows he heard it by the way he stops in his tracks.

His large calloused hand gently pulls her head back so he can look at her and Amara fights the urge to want to hide back against his neck. The raised eyebrow is question enough and the gesture makes her huff because someone should not be able to communicate by their eyebrows alone.

“I...I don’t want you to take me to my room. I think that, maybe, we’ll both sleep better if I stay with you for the night. We need you firing on all cylinders, right? Gotta do my part to keep my Alpha in tip-top shape” she says with sass and fire that is a good fifty percent false bravado but the big guy doesn’t need to know that.

“Ah, just doing your duty huh? Well, I suppose I can’t turn that down then. It’s all for my sake only, of course. What a dedicated little wolf you are doll” his eyes tease even as his face remains stoic making Amara smack his chest and glare at the beautifully infuriating man. She catches a twitch at the corners of his mouth and considers it a triumph. Especially considering how his hold on her tightens and his long stride leads them to the wing where she knows his rooms are supposed to be.

Curiosity starts to well up when they enter his bedroom but she has no time to take in their surroundings because she is suddenly airborne before falling and landing on what feels like a cloud. A surprised gasp leaves her and she realizes the bastard had tossed her onto his bed. “You’re an ass” she deadpans but stays sprawled on the giant mattress.

“And you, little wolf, are the most beautiful fucking thing to ever grace this bed” he retorts with a lazy smirk but the desire from earlier has turned into something softer, more longing and Amara responds to it. Holding her arms out towards Maddox, she beckons him towards her and the Alpha gives into the silent request.

With an ease that speaks of confidence and experience, Maddox undresses down to his boxers while crawling into bed until he is hovering over her. She drinks in the sight of him, wanting to explore the tattoos that cover his arms and one side of his chest. Time stills when their eyes meet, both seeing the other in a new light. Amara had imagined a moment like this but it was full of uncontrollable fire and lust. Hands tearing at clothes. Kisses dirty and rough. Instead, she traces his features with soft fingertips, and his eyes close with a shudder.

How can this man make her feel so small and fragile yet so powerful and wanted? Cupping his face, she pulls just enough to get her message across and Maddox gives in without hesitation. When their lips meet, it is more than just attraction and primal urges. Their motions are slow like they are savoring the moment.

Her Alpha maps out her mouth, devouring her tongue and taking possession of her soul. He tastes like everything she has ever wanted and yet nothing that she knew she needed. His hands caress her as if she is something precious, an invaluable treasure and she nearly weeps. When they break apart, they stay breathing the same air, foreheads touching, finding a grounding point where they can remember where one ends and the other begins. Amara distantly wonders if a kiss should be able to have this kind of power.

Maddox gently kisses every inch of her face before slowly pulling himself up. To her embarrassment, a needy little whine leaves Amara but her Alpha only gives her a fond smile, bending his head to leave a kiss on the inside of her knee then getting off of the bed. He isn’t gone long enough for her to start doubting herself.

When Maddox returns, he has one of his shirts in his hand. It looks casual, just a plain white T-shirt. “Nothing will happen tonight. Not because I don’t want it to, fuck do I want you doll, but it’s not the right time. Just allow me to do this and trust me. At the moment, holding you in my arms is all I need” the way he looks at her while he speaks is almost too much for Amara.

Afraid of how the raw emotions in the air will come out if she speaks, Amara simply nods and sits up, staying pliant and receptive. The answering smile from Maddox is so genuinely full of joy and boyish that it melts her little heart. Her big bad Alpha could be soft, who would have thought?

There is something almost worshipful about the way he undresses her. It isn’t hurried or sexual. There is so much care and tenderness in the simple domestic action. One by one, he removes each piece of clothing and folds them before setting them beside the bed. Amara doesn’t think twice about him seeing her necklace, the thought not even crossing her mind.

She gives him a questioning look when he doesn’t remove her bra or underwear. She prefers it, not wanting to possibly get carried away and not actually ready to go further than they have tonight. It is more curiosity, she had half expected him to do so. “I am but a man little wolf” he quips as his answer and she rolls her eyes despite the blush creeping up. He smiles mischievously but lovingly slides his shirt onto her frame.

Amara removes the bra from under her shirt for comfort's sake when he turns to pull the comforter down and lets it slide to where he had set her clothes. They both slide under the covers together. She shouldn’t be surprised when she lays her head on his chest and her body naturally curves against him as if they had always been a perfect fit just waiting to find each other.
The weight of his arm encircling her, pulling her closer, makes her feel safer than she ever has before and she allows every bit of tension to drain out of her. Sleep quickly overcomes her and she is out before she can even register the feel of Maddox placing a tender kiss to her forehead and whispering promises that span a lifetime.

Maddox lets himself fully relax for the first time in years, finally having his mate in his arms. Had he burned with the desire to ravage her? Fuck yes. But this, he wanted this so much more. Warm, sleepy, and safe. The taste of her lips still lingered on his tongue. He wanted forever with her but that starts with a moment at a time.

He had been ignoring the inkling of fear that she would reject their bond. Now, all he feels is hope and a sense of peace, unlike anything he has experienced before. He falls asleep content without a nightmare in sight. Come morning he would argue with himself before coming to the decision that it is time he slowly brings Amara into his world where she will belong and lead by his side.