Chapter 29

The bags are secured inside the trunk when Maddox finally emerges from the house with the three Enforcers that will be coming along as guards, something Min assured her is customary. The Alpha looks all business as he gives final orders but he discreetly brushes his fingers along her arm as he opens the car door for her and a jolt of electricity passes between them.

He, Min, and Amara take one car with Maddox at the wheel despite Min’s protests. The guards follow behind in their own car. Endless miles of road awaits them. Until their little group reaches their destination, they are isolated in this car together. Her mind can't quite decide whether that's a good or bad thing considering she can’t bring up last night with Min in the car. Regardless, she snuggles into her seat, settling in for the long ride.

It takes us most of the day to arrive. They stop a couple of times along the way to stretch their legs, eat something or use the bathroom. Truthfully, Amara slept most of it away. Something about being in the compact space with people you trust and feel safe with coupled with the steady drone of tires on open road lulled her to sleep.

Night had fallen by the time they get there but the place is still full of activity. Those who travel to see the council stay on the property in a wing made to house guests. The building itself is massive with a Beaux-Arts feel, the large decorative columns and ornate windows adding to the imposing beauty of this important venue.

They are escorted into the building towards the rooms through large arched doorways. The inside is even grander than the outer appearance with vaulted ceilings and elaborate carvings that mimic the intricate architecture of the outside. The flooring is marbled and polished so perfectly Amara swears she can see her own reflection.

She must have started to fall behind a bit because she feels a hand guiding her forward to quicken her pace a little. It turns out to be Min attempting to keep her from getting separated from them. She shoots the Gamma a grateful smile and he winks in response, never breaking their stride.

Entering a less hectic section, they come upon a grand staircase and ascend towards their lodgings. The man escorting their group shows them to a suite and announces that dinner was already served but someone will be up to bring them some so the travelers can settle in and rest up for tomorrow.

The suite is spacious with a shared common room that branches off into four separate bedrooms and two shared bathrooms. The place is beautiful, lavish, and comfortable but not excessively so. Off to the right side of the common room, two of the Enforcers share a room while the third bunks with Min and they have the first adjoining bathroom. To the left of the common area is Amara’s room with the bathroom she will be sharing with Maddox.

Amara is grateful she will only be sharing with one person but knowing it's her Alpha makes her feel all kinds f things. Would he ask her to join him at night? Would it be prudent or, is it a sure-fire way to have their semi maybe relationship outed? It's hard to know so she will follow his lead. No matter how deep her feelings for the man go, she will still be locking the bathroom door when going in. Best to avoid an embarrassing situation.

They are barely done getting their things put away when dinner arrives. The group eats together in the common area and Amara lets the men's familiar banter back and forth ease any lingering nerves. She occasionally adds her two cents here and there but mostly keeps to herself and does her best not to ogle Maddox in front of everyone. Despite sleeping during most of the ride there, she still feels exhausted and is positive that it's most likely her mind trying to keep itself calm.

Saying her goodnights and subtly sliding her fingers along the nape of Maddox’s neck, Amara slips into her room and takes the opportunity to shower quickly and dress for bed. Jumping in, she is happy to find the bed soft and plush. Before she can forget, Amara sends a quick text to Sina and her parents so they know they arrived safely even though her mom and dad probably won’t see the message any time soon. Sinking into the mattress. she prepares for a hopefully good night's rest.

The restful sleep she had hoped for never comes. Through a half-awake fog, she hears everyone else turn in followed by soft snores in the distance. In the wee hours of the morning, she roughly pulls the covers off and sits up with a frustrated groan. Perhaps a small walk down the hallway will help stretch her restless legs and tire her out enough that her anxiety over tomorrow can't keep her up any longer.

Looking down at herself, Amara decides the long sleeve shirt and pajama pants she is wearing are decent enough so she slips out as quietly as possible, not wanting to wake anyone else. The hallway is dead silent as is to be expected. With no one milling about, she can now walk slowly and appreciate the various paintings adorning the walls. She loses herself to the night as she wanders the hallways, enjoying the solitude.

Distantly, she registers the sound of someone else walking nearby but ignores it and continues walking along. Feeling calmer and now finally ready for bed, Amara retraces her steps. Her mind is so preoccupied with finding her way back that she doesn't realize her path is about to cross with whoever is out and about as well.

"Mila?" a voice whispers softly with shocked disbelief.

Snapping her face to the side where a hallway that branches out meets this main area, she sees a man standing there. He looks to be in his forties or fifties but is obviously still strong. Salt and pepper hair is combed back with a matching neatly trimmed beard. He is wearing a coat, dress shirt, and pants which makes her believe he must have either been outside or recently arrived.

What strikes her the most though are his eyes. They are weathered in a way only someone who has lived too much can have. They are violet and currently wide in either surprise or shock, It’s hard to tell which.

"I'm sorry, I think you're mistaking me for someone else" Amara’s voice is polite, she doesn't want to embarrass him, after all, it is late and it's easy to get things mixed up in your head when you're tired. That name though...could it be a simple coincidence? Her mom would say there is no such thing.

"Of course, I apologize. Silly me. What is your name? If I may ask." The stranger's voice is polite and holds an air of regalness despite its gravelly tone. "I'm Amara, Amara Johansen here from the Onyx Moon pack. It’s nice to meet you sir." she offers her hand in greeting and he takes it.

"A pleasure to meet you, Amara, My name is Silas Kouris. You look remarkably like someone I knew long ago. When you passed by the resemblance was so strong that I called out. I hope I did not scare you."

Ending the handshake, she waves away his worry "There was no need to apologize, it was a simple mistake that happens. Besides catching me off guard there's no harm done."

Silas smiles softly and dips his head slightly "I appreciate your understanding but it is probably about time we both go to our rooms. If we aren't careful morning will arrive with us looking tired and ill-prepared for the day."

In full agreeance with Silas, she wishes him good night before continuing her stroll back to the suite. The man did not feel dangerous nor did he set off any alarm bells but something about the way he looked at her and the brief flicker of panic that he couldn’t quite repress when he heard her name is proof enough to her that there is something serious she is missing.

In another wing, Silas paces inside his quarters. How had Elsie and Ulrik allowed this? Why would they let Amara enter the belly of the beast? He hopes Danso will stay away tomorrow, there is no doubt that he would recognize who Amara is and he won’t be able to resist getting close to her. The King isn’t necessary for the open council sessions. Silas prays to whoever is listening that Amara can return home unnoticed. He tries to call Ulrik but the call goes straight to voicemail. Cursing under his breath, he slumps down into a chair, memories of fallen friends and deadly secrets plague his mind ensuring he gets no rest.