Chapter 26

"No matter what we do, the fucker just sits there with a shit-eating grin. When he does decide to talk he just rambles in circles without actually revealing anything. We're gonna leave him isolated without speaking for a few days, then we'll see if the reprieve will help break him after."

Maddox cracks his neck trying to ease the mounting irritation "He's a tough bastard, I'll give him that. We have never had anyone withstand your interrogations for so long. Keep up your work. We will be calling a council meeting this weekend, be ready to report anything you discover between now and then." Kane bows his head respectfully and returns to his post.

It is just before midnight but he won't be sleeping any time soon. Their progress has been slow, practically non-existent. The frustration at not making headway only grows by the day. Everyone is running at full tilt and the last thing they need is to see how impatient their Alpha is getting. As long as he appears steady and calm, all will continue as it should be. The worst thing when facing an unknown is to let your people waver because you seem uncertain.

Lost in thought, he barely realizes he is being drawn towards the woods. The night has a slight chill but the spring air is soothing as it brings with it the smell of fresh dew. The electric crackle over his skin tells him all he needs to know. Amara is somewhere close by and her presence is drawing him in like invisible hands sinking into his flesh.

He has had to concentrate on his duties, there's been no time for stolen conversations or midnight strolls. Maddox has done what he can to keep a tight lid on the yearning that persistently struggles to bubble to the surface and swallow him whole. That lid slowly comes undone as his eyes feast upon the sight before him. Curls that shine like bronze in the moonlight cascade down a slender back. Deep eyes like pools of honey gaze upon the sky. Graceful fingers entangle in blades of grass while a haunting melody slips through rosy lips.

Amara’s delicate face turns his way sensing his tentative approach. The smile that slides onto those tempting lips nearly stops Maddox in his tracks. He idly wonders if she realizes how breathtaking she is. Beautiful, caring, intelligent, braver than she comprehends, and witty when she wants to be. Somehow a battle-hardened wolf with blood on his hands ended up with a mate like Amara. He can't decide whether the fates are kind or cruel but he'll take it.

Maddox squats down before Amara, still towering over her dainty figure. His hand reaches out with a mind of its own and wraps one of her silky curls around his finger. "How do you always end up alone in the woods in the dead of night?"

Her laugh is quiet and sends a thrill through his system. He could listen to her laugh forever. "This time Its actually your fault" The sparkle in her eyes made them look like polished gold. Clear, electric, and mesmerizing. "How exactly am I at fault my lady?" His voice is low, words teasing.

"I went to your office but you weren't there. I sensed you were outside and decided to wait out here hoping to run into you. I was hoping to ask for a favor if you weren't busy." Amara’s nerves are now perceptible which only spikes his curiosity. Her luscious bottom lip disappears into her mouth but she quickly releases it, most likely noticing how his eyes followed the gesture. The slick sheen makes him want to lean in and run his tongue along it.

"Ask for anything you would like"he replies huskily. Focusing on her words distracts him from his previous deviant thoughts. Letting the strands of hair slip through his hand, Maddox places a curled finger under her chin and lifts gently so their eyes can meet. "Tell me what's wrong, I'll help however I can. There is no need to be anxious."

Amara smiles and rolls her eyes, letting out an amused huff. “It’s really nothing serious. I just wanted to see if you would, maybe, if you’re not too busy that is, go on a run with me? The patrols have been keeping people out at night but if you were with me...well, who says no to their Alpha? Besides, you look like you might need it too” she finishes on a serious note. Her eyes stare into his, not showing any of the previous nerves. There is genuine care and concern in them and in that moment, there is nothing he wouldn’t do for his little wolf.

His mate had come to him and what kind of man would he be if he disappointed her. Letting her chin go, he stands and offers his hand palm up. “Shall we?” he asked, lips tugging up mischievously. For a second she simply looks at his offered hand before taking it and using it to pick herself up. “I hope you’re ready to get left in the dust” is her cheeky reply. The sound of his laughter follows them as they walk deeper into the darkness.

I can't believe I went through with it and asked Amara thinks to herself. Her hand in his feels so small and fragile but he never treats her like something that will break. Amara is sure that's one of the things she likes most about Maddox. He comes off as being protective without belittling which is a difficult balance to strike.

If she is honest, she feels so safe walking beside him even if a part of her is a little nervous about shifting with him considering how persistent her wolf has been in her fondness for the Alpha. The nerves are overridden by the sheer excitement at the notion of being able to run free and getting to see Madd’s wolf for the first time.

That is until she realizes she didn't bring a change of clothes which means she will have to strip unless \she wants to walk back naked. Why didn't she think this through?! When Amara didn't find Maddox in his office she basically decided it was a sign she should just wait until the pack run. That's when she went outside to sit and felt him nearby. Any thought of bringing a spare outfit was thus forgotten.

Why is she being self-conscious? wolves shift completely nude in front of each other all the time. It is completely natural in their society. Amara had never felt shy about it before. Then again, it had never been a man she was falling for who she had to strip in front of so it’s totally different.

Her mind continues to go around in circles like that while she just lets him lead them away. As soon as they come upon a clearing she registers where they are, by the river where he found her after the pack gathering. It's funny how long ago that seems.

She can feel Maddox watching her every move as she drops his hand and moves away to undress. Amara wills her body to relax and appear unaffected, the opposite of what she is currently experiencing. His gaze is searing a trail over her body with every move she makes. Something is empowering about holding the full attention of a man like Maddox. It sends heat coursing through her veins and she doesn't dare make eye contact. No longer because of embarrassment but because she doesn't want her Alpha to see the longing that will no doubt be shining through her eyes.

She drops each article of clothing into a pile, acting like he isn’t even there despite her hyper-awareness of his presence. She decides to tease him a little and turns her back to him when she goes to unhook her bra, letting the straps slide down her arms before landing on top of the pile on the ground. She bites her lip when she hears a muffled groan from behind her.

Her underwear follows and she arranges her hair to fall in front of her breasts before turning and kneeling on the ground. Closing her eyes, she takes a deep breath to prepare herself then lets the shift take over her. When she opens them again, Maddox had silently made his way over to Amara so he is now kneeling in front of her.