Chapter 18

It is completely dark when they arrive, Sina dropping Amara off in front of the pack house. She was glad she had texted her parents to let them know she would be out all day with a friend. She waves goodbye to Si, watching her drive off. The night is so still, most people seem to be inside or already in bed. She was going to turn in herself but for some reason, she just does not feel like it anymore.

Instead, Amara leisurely walks around the pack house towards the back, leaving her stuff in a hidden spot, and she is once again drawn into the tranquil woods that she has already come to feel safe in. She loves it here, loves the smell of freshly blooming summer flowers. She loves the sound of small animals scurrying through the foliage. She likes the stillness.

Finding a secluded area mostly hidden by overhanging trees, she lowers herself to the ground. She closes her eyes and falls into a meditative state, completely clearing her mind. Amara was so entranced at that moment that she didn't even sense anyone approaching until they sit right beside her. She is stunned back to reality and her first instinct is to go on the defensive after so many lessons drilled into her by her mom.

Thankfully, her mind quickly registers the surprise companion as Lyam and she lets out a breath she had not realized she had been holding. "What are you doing weirdo? Nearly gave me a heart attack just popping in like that" she playfully shoves him.

His muscles shift as he sways. Lyam raises his eyebrows and answers bemused "You're the one just sitting in the dark by yourself in the middle of the woods." He takes a sip out of a bottle she hadn't even noticed. From the smell, it is definitely some kind of alcohol but there are hints of chocolate and peppermint what an odd combo in the summer. "And yet you somehow found me" she points out, the question implied in the statement.

“Well SOMEONE had invited me and Scottie over for a movie night. When you didn’t show we thought something might have come up. I texted you but got no reply so we hit up Sina and she told us what happened. When I went to check up on you, your parents said you weren’t back yet so I came looking. I just wanted to make sure you made it in alright.” His explanation started out teasing but turned shy towards the end.

“Shit! I’m so sorry Ly. I meant to let you know but it slipped my mind and I left my stuff by the back door before coming here. We’ll make it up to you guys, promise! Don’t want Scottie getting all sulky on us” Amara jokes but genuinely feels bad for just forgetting about their plans entirely.

He easily waves off the apology with a kind smile and offers her a sip of his drink which she declines. With a shrug, Lyam takes another swig. They sit side by side in silence except for the sounds of nature for a while before Lyam breaks it “Do you think you’re happier here? You know, in the pack instead of being a nomad.”

The question catches her a little off guard but she takes a moment to really think about it before answering. “I miss it a little. Traveling all around with no one but your family to worry about is really...freeing. It is fun but there are difficulties too. I can’t tell you how I’ll feel in the long run but right now, I’m super grateful we’re here. For the first time, I’m making real connections outside of my parents. I have stability so it's like I can finally start asking myself what I want. It is different but I don’t regret it.”

Lyam nods and silently looks out into the woods. Amara can tell he is thinking and has something he wants to say so she patiently waits him out.

“I’m glad you moved here. I’ve just always been curious about what it's like, you know, being a nomad. For a while when I was younger, I just wanted to get the hell away from the pack and never join another. I was so fucking angry”, he laughs with a hint of melancholy “Our dad had died and it felt like they just cared about getting Madd to take his place. Dad was my hero and, logically, I get why it was necessary. Doesn’t change the fact that I was a kid, grieving and pissed cause it felt like he was being replaced and forgotten.”