Chapter 15

When they arrive, things are in full swing. The large expanse of the backyard which leads into the woods is full of life. The children are running around and playing. Some of the older men are gathered around the grills with a beer in hand. Small groups are formed here and there but for the most part, everyone seems to be trying to mingle.

Amara can't help feeling just a tad awkward at first. Elsie comes up behind her and leads them towards where my Ulrik is. He seems to be laughing it up with the pack trainer and a few others who she doesn't recognize.

He spots them coming towards him and waves. Amara gives him a quick kiss and offers greetings. “I'm going to grab a drink” she lets them know so she can slip away. Trying to join in on a conversation between your parents and their friends sounds more awkward than hanging out by herself for a bit until she can find Sina or Lyam.

On her way to the drink station, she takes her time observing the surroundings. Lanterns hang from the trees and are scattered throughout the yard along with torches. A large bonfire to the side helps illuminate the night casting a warm glow over the smiling guests.

The sounds of excited chatter and jovial laughs ring through the air and seem to fill the open space. Somehow all of this makes Amara feel calmer. There is a welcoming spirit in the air that could put anyone at ease. The group of cubs she had played with before run into her path, playing and laughing and teasing.

There are sparklers in their hands and the sheer innocence of it brings a small smile to Amara’s face. Finally, she reaches the drink station. Several glass drink dispensers are set side by side and clearly labeled. She grabs a disposable cup and debates between sweet tea and punch before finally settling on sweet tea.

Drink in hand, Amara distractedly turns around and nearly crashes straight into someone. It feels like Deja Vu and for a split second, she wonders when she became so clumsy or absentminded. It turns out the person she nearly steamrolled is Sina with her smooth red locks up in a high ponytail and wearing a pretty indigo sundress with a small flower pattern under a denim jacket.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry! I swear it's like all I’ve been doing lately is running straight into people” she jokes and makes sure none of her sweet tea ended up on Sina.

"It's totally fine, I was standing kind of close. I was actually coming over to say hi. What do you think?” Sina asks, hands circling around the packed yard full of people.

“Everything looks fantastic. I’ll admit, it’s kind of a lot. I was sort of being a loner until I could spot someone I at least vaguely recognize” Amara admits sheepishly.

"Well, then it's a good thing you met me. Now we can hang out and be loners together. You can be sure I'll be around to bug you all the time. That's the best part of having friends, there's always someone there. Sometimes, even when you don't want them to be." She flashes a big smile and Amara laughs softly. She really will have to thank Maddox someday for introducing her to Sina the day they arrived. She can't help be drawn to the redhead's genuinely cheerful and kind personality.

"Somehow that doesn't sound so bad" Amara replies with a mock salute, tipping her red plastic cup. A gesture that Sina reciprocates with a raised pinky. They can’t resist laughing, imagining how silly they must look t anybody watching.

Giggling, they drag themselves over to the large wooden picnic tables with fairy lights placed in bottles, illuminating the center and adding to the magical feel of the area. They find a mostly empty table and sit off to the end.

Before they can start up a conversation, their attention is drawn to the sound of clinking against glass. Alpha Maddox is standing beside Min who is holding the glass in hand. Everyone grows quiet and looks to them, waiting for their Alpha to speak.