Chapter 28

Hazy with sleep, Amara awakens wrapped in the comforter that smells like her Alpha. She is a little disappointed when she doesn’t feel him in the room but it's to be expected. He has responsibilities and can’t just spend all morning in bed with her. Still, she had been hoping for a morning kiss at least.

Flashing catches the corner of her eye and she launches herself towards it. Shit! I never went back last night. That’s probably mom and dad wondering where the hell I am she curses herself considering how on edge they had been ever since the intruder thing happened. They had been keeping an extra close eye on her and whispering amongst themselves all of the time. They probably think something bad happened. Somehow, the fates must not hate her because the text is them apologizing for leaving early in the morning without waking her up.

Ma: Just visiting some contacts kiddo. Gotta get some info, keep us safe from the rogues and all that. We’ll be back before your birthday but might be out of service range and shit so don’t worry if you can’t reach us. Lots and lots of kissies for our itty bittie baby!

Amara rolls her eyes, It was obviously Elsie who wrote that message. The I love you’s, and the order for her to stay safe and not wander alone that were sent right after were much more her dad’s style. An uneasy feeling creeps up ut she pushes it away. It’s probably because they have never gone away without her so it is normal to worry. Perhaps it is a good thing, a chance to start working on her independence bit by bit without constantly relying on them.

Stretching, she replies in case they get service at some point so they know she read their messages and she sends her love in return. When she slides to the edge of the bed, there is a tray with breakfast and a note. She smiles giddily to herself and takes a bite out of the toast while unfolding the note.

The uneasiness is back full force but it is mixed with warmth and isn’t that just the strangest combination imaginable. Maddox wants her to join him at an emergency council meeting that will be held at the Wolf King’s estate. The explanation makes it seem as if it is partly because she can give her account of having distantly encountered the rogue before anyone else, but mostly because he does not want to go without her by his side.

It is sweet and endearing except that is waging a war with how utterly terrifying. The entire situation is way above her but she doesn't have much of a choice. Amara wants to be the kind of woman who holds her own. She wants to be able to stand by Maddox’s side and not just because he is attracted to her. That won’t happen if she hides away or refuses to start integrating into the parts of shifter society that the Alpha has to deal with every single day.

Besides, even she understands the precarious position the pack is in and the possibility of a full-scale ulfhednar threat means the council consisting of Alphas and esteemed advisors with the King as the head must be informed and ultimately involved if things escalate.

There are still a couple of hours before the departure time in the note so those are things she can worry about later because nothing can dampen her mood with the soft comfort of last night still fresh in her memories. Amara feels whole in a way she hadn't known was possible. This kind of happiness is frightening in its own way because she fears the possibility that the other shoe will drop at some point.

Is it possible to be this happy forever? Maddox is a part of that happiness and as she gets closer to him, she becomes more convinced of something that is too good to be true. A connection they share that's so deep that she can't possibly be imagining it. It has become obvious that it is not one-sided, far from it.

If what Amara suspects is true then the Alpha already knows and has since she had arrived. She could ask but she won't be able to bear it if he denies her or on the off chance that she ends up being wrong. Once her birthday arrives there will be no need to ask. All of a sudden a week feels a lifetime away.

"You thinking sexy and powerful or tough and intelligent? It's all about the image" It’s half an hour before they leave for the council meeting and Amara is packing up with Sina's help. The redhead is currently rummaging through Amara’s wardrobe insisting she needs a power outfit for the meeting. What does one even wear to those?

"Neither one of those sound like personas I can pull off at the moment. What do we have in the 'I'm just trying to make it through this' category? That is closer to my speed." Sina rolls her eyes then jumps right back in "You need to give yourself more credit. Confidence is key to pulling anything off. Ooh, I've got it! Classic sophisticated sexy. Like, I'm young but I know what I'm talking about so take me seriously."

As Si says this she pulls out a crisp white button-down that is trimmed in black, and slim burgundy ankle-length dress pants with a matching waistcoat. Amara vaguely remembers buying them last year after falling in love with a window display but never having the right place to wear them.

Sina tosses them on the bed then adds the matching jacket and a pair of black pumps she had only worn a few times. "Doesn't that seem like a bit much Si? I don't want to look over the top if no one else is dressed formally" Amara worries but figures her friend wouldn’t steer her wrong.

"Don't be silly, it would be disrespectful not to look nice. Everyone does at these things, that includes our hunky Alpha. This will make you look professional, you don't want to be singled out. You'll already be nervous, it's rare for anyone who isn't a high-ranking officer to be invited to go along. You need to act as if you belong, it'll help you feel better" the redhead reassures her and pulls her in for a quick hug.

Amara nods and grabs a garment bag to pack the outfit without having it get all wrinkled. "I see your point. I've just been trying not to psyche myself out so I avoided thinking about it too much. Especially since I basically have nothing to share." It’s not like she had even come face to face with the guy. Really, the more she thinks about it, the less her presence at the council meeting makes sense.

"Trust in yourself and you'll be fine. You will be giving your report which will go by quickly and then you’ll probably be left to explore the place while the private session happens. It will be over before you know it. Plus, you'll get to travel with our handsome Alpha who you're definitely not into"she pokes at her and Amara throws a pillow at the redhead nearly knocking a lamp over in the process.

"It's for business and nothing else. Anyways, I think I have everything packed now that we settled on an outfit. We are leaving now and returning the morning after tomorrow so it's not like I need much."

"Wait, one thing is missing! give me a sec". Sina runs out the door and comes back a few minutes later with a black-tie "You sure?" Amara asks wondering why if the tie won’t make it seem like she is trying too hard.

"Just trust me, it will look good."

She takes it from her hand and throws it into the travel bag she has ready to go. If Sina says it will work then Amara will just go with it. "Remember to text me if anything juicy happens"the redhead grins.

"I can't imagine anything noteworthy occurring, but if it does, you'll be the first to know." With that assurance, the pair hugs, and Sina leaves after wishing her a safe trip.

No more than a minute later there's a knock at her door and a face she has barely gotten to know pops in "Hey little moon, you all packed up?" Min asks with his usual easy smile in place and a mischievous gleam that makes her ignore the nickname. "Just got done. Are you and Carter going too?" she asks curiously, not sure if she is relieved or not to have it not only be her and Maddox.

"Carter is staying behind, can't have all three of us leaving at the same time."

Makes sense, they wouldn't want to leave the pack exposed without any of its leaders. "That works, I've been seeing way too much of him anyways. You're the one who is always running around" she jokes lightheartedly making Min laugh. "What can I say? My talents are needed everywhere. I'm in high demand around here."

"I don't doubt it. May I ask you to use your considerable skills to get my suitcase down into the car?" she gives her best smile making Min shake his head. "I feel used but with a smile like that, I'll put up with it" He winks playfully and takes her suitcase. Amara follows behind him down the stairs.