Chapter 30

Amara’s late-night outing had not gone unnoticed. After showering, slicking her hair back into a high ponytail, doing her makeup, and dressing, she steps out into the common room where there is no one but Maddox there looking devilishly handsome in a sharp three-piece gunmetal suit without the jacket. The sleeves of the crisp white dress shirt were folded up to the elbow revealing his muscular forearms.

His eyes looked impossibly green today and almost glowed like bioluminescence in the deep sea. Striking, powerful, and unbearably beautiful. Honestly, those are words that could simply describe the man himself. She almost felt embarrassed at how openly she was checking him out but quickly realized Maddox was doing the same and in fact complimented her while running his fingers down her side until one hand is holding onto her waist.

“I heard you slip out late in the night little wolf, is everything okay?” he questions, hand cupping her cheek, pulling her closer. The heels are tall enough that she could stretch up and kiss him with hos his head is bent towards her.

“Yeah just...couldn’t sleep. I recently tried out a bed that may have ruined me for any others, she gives him a saucy smile even as the strange encounter from last night lingers in the back of her mind. Maddox is about to reply, no doubt with something unfairly hot that would have her melting in his hands when he abruptly pulls away with a frustrated frown just as the others finally emerge and they are forced to make their way down to the meeting room.

The room itself was the size of a giant ballroom and that only added to her nerves. She keeps herself looking composed and unaffected on the outside but she still appreciates when Min and Maddox both squeeze her shoulder in a silent show of support before they walk in.

Once inside and seated, everyone is in formal wear and the atmosphere is all business. The Enforcers are standing by the wall behind them while Maddox, Min, and Amara are seated. The table is heavy and massive, easily able to accommodate a few dozen men. Raised slightly higher was a platform with a much smaller table where it appears the King and his advisors must often sit to oversee issues. It is empty at the moment and although a tad disappointed, Amara is mostly relieved to not have to add meeting the King to the already stressful day.

Looking at the men settling down as they prepare to begin, she makes eye contact with a familiar face from last night. Silas sat beside an older-looking man at the head of the table and he gives a barely perceivable nod in her direction that she returns.

Somehow his presence among all the unfamiliar faces feels comforting, even reassuring, and her nerves start to calm. Introductions are made and then the meeting officially begins. Amara tried to remain as focused as possible not wanting to let her mind wander and be caught off guard. The discussion was long and a lot of it is speculation and possible theories were thrown back and forth.

When her turn came she stood and spoke as confidently and clearly as she could. Her involvement really had been minimal at best but a couple of the council members seem impressed by the actions she took and the calm way she handled herself and protected the cubs. Amara really doesn’t think she did anything all that special but she is just happy to be seated and out of the limelight once again. She feels Maddox discreetly squeeze her hand beneath the table and she has to bite the inside of her cheeks to keep from smiling.

She risks a side glance at his face and he looks as stoic as ever now speaking again but something is shining in his eyes and she hopes she is the reason for it. Although that's so presumptuous of her, she can't help it. All she wanted was to make herself and Maddox proud after he had wanted and trusted her to come along.

They break for a small lunch and reconvene without her this time. Amara is left to her own devices with one of the Enforcers, Ezequiel who is Jonah and Emma's father, to look after her. While leaving, she once again felt Silas’ eyes on her and she has to wonder just who Mila is or was. What did she mean to him? Did something happen to her? How is she connected to Amara? The flicker of sadness that clouds his eyes every time he looks at her lead her to believe the answers aren't good.

For a while, she just mills about before going back to the room to make sure all of her stuff is neatly packed away, changing into something more comfortable, then grabbing one of the books she brought with her. Assuring Ezequiel that she will be fine on her own and he is free to do what he wants, she makes her way to a small garden she had spotted out back.

Despite what she said, Ezequiel still followed at a distance not wanting to go against his Alphas order to stay close to her. That is fine, she really doesn't mind it she just didn't want him stuck bored babysitting her. A bench in the middle of the garden is empty and she takes a seat, curling her legs up and cracking open the book.

The tome in question is the weathered one she had set aside after her fall. The outside is faded with no title in sight. Amara had been intrigued by it from the start but it wasn't a priority, now that she has nothing to do until they get back home she can justify spending the time to explore it.

Her curiosity is instantly piqued when she realizes it is not a printed book, it is handwritten, most likely with ink and quill from the strokes. Gently, taking care not to ruin the delicate pages, she flips through and notices slight differences in writing as the book goes on and ultimately the writing vessel even seems to change to what she assumes was a fountain pen.

Opening back to the front she begins eagerly reading, now anxious to know what these pages hold. Within the first few, she knows what this is. This book is a handwritten history of their race from the very beginning being put down on record by the first King who fought and got them out from under the oppressive hand of rulers who used shifters as nothing but slaves and soldiers forced to die for them.

This is a journal and she suspects the changes in writing styles and even tools means this book possibly contains the accounts through history being passed down and recorded by each subsequent King. How something so valuable and important was shoved away in some random corner gathering dust is beyond her. Perhaps that was the intent, after all, if you throw it in with a multitude of other books and treat it like nothing special then anyone who wishes to destroy it would never even know it is there.

Keep it safe and hidden in plain sight looking ordinary and old. If that was the plan then it was a brilliant one. Amara doubts Maddox, or anyone else for that matter, even knows they had something like this in there. For now, she'll keep it to herself and dive in. At the very least it will answer questions she's always had about a history seldom told.

A couple of hours go by when Ezequiel approaches and lets Amara know the meeting has ended and they will be leaving soon. Delicately closing the book that she's barely made a dent in, she follows him back to the room. She double checks that she isn’t leaving anything behind before they all meet up and the men grab their bags, taking them down to the car.

Pleasantries are getting exchanged when her eyes fall on Silas and she feels a weird familial affection towards the stranger she's known for less than a day.

Making sure everyone else is preoccupied with their parting words, she approaches Silas who is slightly separate from the rest, and holds her hand out which he takes. "It was nice meeting you, I hope our paths cross again someday." Amara means those words and offers a smile to show it. She may not understand what is going on just yet but every wolf knows to follow their gut instincts.

For a second, Silas is silent then a ghost of a smile appears "Likewise dear girl. Take care until then, it seems trouble is coming your way. Shall we meet again when it is safe to do so." He releases her hand and they part ways. Was that meant to be ominous? Because it feels like it. 

Sliding into the car once again, Amara goes about buckling in for a long drive. Absentmindedly, she pats the large journal she stashed in the bag she keeps on her, not wanting it too far out of sight. The comfortable silence is broken once they turn onto the main road “Yo Ama, how do you know old man Silas?” Min looks back and pops a chocolate-covered peanut and Amara momentarily wonders where the hell that came from since there’s nothing in his hands.

“Hmm? I don’t. Well, not really. We ran into each other last night when I couldn’t sleep. He kinda mistook me for someone else which was kinda funny. He was really nice though” she shrugs and then starts pestering Min to share his secret snacks with her until he finally gives in and she is happily munching on peanut butter bites. She catches Maddox looking at her with open fondness in the rearview mirror.

Amara almost feels guilty for not mentioning the name Silas used or how it isn’t the first time she has heard it. Somehow she didn't want to reveal it as if she was telling them a secret that did not belong to her. As disorienting and terrifying as the weird visions are, she is almost hoping for one. Maybe it will give her answers or at least more clues to go on.

Serious attempts to continue reading the journal were made but alas, once night arrived Amara gave up after the third time she dozed off and nearly dropped the book onto the car floor. Tucking it back into the safety of her bag, she removes her jacket and shoes to get more comfortable. In the end, she slept through the entire last portion of the ride and didn't even stir when they arrived.