Chapter 33

The thing about living in the pack house instead of one of the separate homes is that running into another inhabitant is inevitable. Sometime after getting back from the diner, Amara is reading the journal out on the back porch when Lyam walks out. She has a few moments before he spots her to decide what she wants to do. Should she let him approach her? Or, is it better to let him know they are cool by making the first move?

When his head turns and they make eye contact, Amara’s mind is made up. The kicked puppy look is impossible to ignore and she feels like a giant asshole for not reaching out sooner. Part of it was because she hates awkwardness and was worried about what would happen when they spoke again. The more shameful part is that she had been so wrapped up in whatever she had going on with Maddox that she hadn’t thought about it much.

Clutching the journal to her chest, Amara makes her way over with a soft smile. “Hey there wolfman, long time no see” she greets casually and sees a little of the tension leave Lyam’s shoulders. “Hey yourself. I-I’ve been meaning to talk to you but, you know...stuff and life” he ends lamely and visibly winces.

Lyam gives her the stink eye when she purses her lips to keep from laughing but he is fighting his own reluctant smile. “Very eloquent my friend. Don’t worry about it, I could have found you too. Look, I-”

“Please just, It’s fine,” he interrupts her “Let’s forget it, yeah? It was just an overall weird night and I would rather just forget it. Friends?” he asks hopefully and Amara is once again hit with how endearing this boy is.

“Of course!” she exclaims and they share a brief hug. “My birthday is in a few days. Sina is planning something. The evil woman she is, she won’t tell me anything about it. If you want to join our merry band of weirdos though, feel free to ask her about it. Scottie too! It’ll be fun...hopefully.”

The bright grin the invitation earns her is proof enough that she did the right thing. Apart from the whole I think your brother might be my mate business, Lyam had been one of the first people to make her feel welcome and honestly try to be her friend and she will forever cherish that. She vows to herself that she will try to be a better friend from then on.

“Just remember, whatever happens, you were the one who said Scottie could come along. I don’t take responsibility for any general tomfoolery that may result.”

“Tomfoolery? Really? The 1600’s called, they want their word back” she teases and Lyam rolls his eyes.

“Whatever, why do I wanna be friends with you again? You’re so mean to me” he whines, slumping onto Amara who has to firmly plant her feet before they both go tumbling onto the floor.

“Please, I bring spice to your life plus I haven’t already let your ass face plant so that deserves some amount of loyalty” she retorts and Lyam gives her a goofy smile before shifting his weight so he isn’t completely leaning on her.

“I guess you have your moments. Anyways, I’m supposed to go do a grocery run but I’ll hit Sina up. I promise to tell you absolutely nothing once she tells me what the plans are” that gets him a playful kick to the shin which means the dork dramatically walks away with a fake limp.

With a shake of her head, Amara pulls out her phone to check the time only to see a text from Maddox which is strange. She’s pretty sure this is the first one he has ever sent her which is kind of funny all things considered. It had only been sent about fifteen minutes earlier so she opens it up.

Madds: Wanna ditch for a bit, little wolf? Dinner 7 pm.

Amara snorts at the wording even as her heart speeds up. Is this a date? It has to be. Either way, she feels a little thankful for the chance to have time alone and discuss their relationship away from the pack. It’s hard to keep things private when everyone has super-sensitive hearing. They have been lucky so far but it won’t last forever and she doesn’t want to be caught off guard while they are still in this unlabeled limbo. She sends a text back accepting then finally looks at the time. Only an hour and a half to get ready. She really wishes Sina was still here to help her choose what to wear.

After much deliberation between dressing up or going casual, Amara splits the difference. Her hair is styled half up, half down. She brings out her favorite small gold hoop earrings and delicate gold rings. She settles on a cute oversized cream-colored sweater that falls off of one shoulder. That is paired with dark wash jeans and black ankle boots. The outfit is a little warm but the nights are getting chillier as summer transitions into fall so it should be okay.

At 7 pm sharp, there is a knock on her door. Grabbing her bag, Amara takes a deep breath and opens the door. She is momentarily caught off guard when it is Carter and not Maddox on the other side. She coughs lightly to cover up her reaction and the Beta is gracious enough to pretend not to notice.

“Disappointing, I know. Do not fret, your wolf prince is meeting you at your destination. I was sent to play chauffeur so follow me my lady” he explains with a quirk of his lip. His hand comes up to rest over his heart while he bows his head a little. Amara finds it charming despite herself and steps out to follow “Lead the way then” she plays along, allowing him to loop her arm with his.

Curiosity eats away at Amara and she is proud to have lasted all the way until they hit the road to ask “Does this mean you don’t disapprove?” the worry is hidden from her voice. Maddox isn’t just some guy, he is the leader of this pack and Carter is his second in command. Being with the Alpha affects the pack to a certain degree and Amara would be lying if she said their judgment upon finding out doesn’t kind of freak her the hell out. Both for herself and for Maddox.

The stoic man stays silent for a few beats before answering “Maddox is my Alpha but he is also my friend and being fulfilled in his role as a leader but also as a person will do nothing but strengthen him, and the pack by extension. He is also a grown man who thinks his decisions through. Honestly, the part of this equation that worries me is you. I have nothing against you Amara. In fact, I find you to be a great girl but, you are young.

Can you handle the scrutiny you might be under once your relationship is made public? You have to prepare yourself for every reaction possible. I might sound like a dick for saying it but I want you going into it with eyes wide open. I will be there to support you through this but I need you to seriously think about yourself and your wants, separate from Maddox. It would hurt you both not to. Just a little food for thought.”

Amara quietly stares out of the window for the rest of the ride, turning his words over. Carter is not only looking out for Maddox but for her as well. It is funny how standoffish she considered him at first while now she views him how she imagines an older brother would be like. What he said struck a chord because it is an aspect of getting together with Maddox that she had been pushing out of her mind but that won’t fix anything. She knows she wants him, that hasn’t changed and probably never will.

What it comes down to is, Maddox is worth it. They will face their changing relationship together and hopefully come out strong on the other side. In the best-case scenario, everyone is happy and accepting. Amara’s mom had always taught her to pray for the best but prepare for the worst though so that is what she will do. Fingers crossed she will have the strength of will to prove she belongs at her Alpha’s side. Still, her wish is that they get enough time to establish their relationship before the pressures of revealing it comes down on them, bringing strain with them.