Chapter 34

The restaurant they pull up to is adorable. It looks like a little white cabin with a wrap-around porch. A canopy of fairy lights hangs over the brick walkway leading up to the front steps. A gazebo is off to the side, illuminated by more fairy lights with trees and flours surrounding the area. As far as she can tell, no one else seems to be here. Carter bids her goodnight and Amara makes some kind of noise in reply, too distracted by the tall dream boat stepping out of the cabin to greet her.

It takes a herculean effort to not run towards Maddox when she steps out of the car. His eyes take her in and she is enveloped in his arms the moment she is within reach. “I had missed you doll” he whispers and kisses her cheek. Their hands intertwine as he tugs her along towards the gazebo.

“Is the place empty?” she questions, discreetly looking around. “I reserved the whole place for tonight. I wanted to make sure we had privacy and figured you would appreciate a nice quiet dinner together. They serve authentic cajun food and I’ve known the owner since I was a little brat” a nostalgic smile on his lips.

“You figured right and, this place is amazing! I had no idea this was even here” Amara praises, examining the table set in the middle of the gazebo with a flickering candle in the middle and wine glasses already filled with ice water, menus sitting on top of the plates. Maddox pulls her chair out and Amara presses a kiss to his neck before sitting.

“You’re still new to the area and I want to show you all of the best places. I hope that you can come to love it the way I do. I’m a tough bastard to deal with but at least sticking around means getting some bomb ass food and great scenery” he jokes while taking his own seat and lifting his glass to take a sip.

“I would say the tough bastard is the draw and the rest is a bonus. Well...maybe the food is the biggest draw but you’re a close second darlin’” she quips in return using one of the terms of endearment he seems to love using with her. Secretly she loves all of them but she isn’t about to admit that. A man who looks like Maddox doesn’t need any extra ego-stroking.

Maddox barks out a laugh and goes to reply but it is cut off by the waiter coming around to take their drink order. Amara wishes she could order a glass of wine or a cocktail but she has another few days to go before that. It makes her feel oddly young beside Maddox and she has to shake it off and orders a virgin Hurricane while Maddox gets a Vieux Carré.

They keep the conversation light during dinner. The appetizer of boudin balls is fried just right with the perfect level of spice. The crawfish étouffée Amara orders is super flavorful and she even shamelessly steals a few bites of Maddox’s maque choux that came on the side of his po'boy sandwich. It’s over a shared slice of doberge cake that they finally get down to the serious talk.

“I don’t want to dance around this and I don’t want there to be misunderstandings. I’m gonna lay shit out so you know where I stand. I expect the same from you doll, I can’t read your mind so we need to communicate” he pauses to make sure it sinks in before continuing “I want you, Amara. Not just to warm my bed- although I’ll sure as hell enjoy having you there any time you want- but to cherish you. I want you as my partner and I don’t plan to hide whatever relationship we have. I’m proud to be yours as you are mine but I would like to wait to announce anything until the time is right.

There will be no one but you and I expect the same. Girlfriend, partner, lover, whatever label you want to stick on it is fine by me, the meaning is still the same. If you aren’t ready for that, just say the word little wolf. I will never push you past what you are ready for and I will not move forward if I think you’re just going along for my sake. I’ve said my piece so now it’s your turn to put your cards on the table sweetheart.”

Amara takes a shuddering breath, blown away by the open earnestness Maddox is showing her. His declarations are staggering and if it were anyone else, she would doubt his earnestness. But this isn’t anyone else, it's Maddox and she knows him. Empty promises are not a thing he makes and god does she adore this captivating man despite the short time they have known each other.

“I’m in, completely. I don’t think I want to label it yet but I like the idea of belonging to each other and not necessarily needing to name it for now. I’m not going to lie to you Madd, this is more than a little terrifying. I’m still figuring my shit out and who I want to be while you’re already there. I might need the freedom to find that at some point but that won’t change anything and I’ll come back to you when I have found my purpose. I don’t say that to put a damper on things because I care about you and I want this more than you can imagine but, you were fully open with me so I won’t disrespect what we are trying to build by not doing the same. Can you deal with that?” she asks nervously, bracing for possible rejection.

With a soft smile that reaches his mesmerizing eyes, Maddox reaches over and grabs her hand, rubbing her knuckles with his thumb. “I would never hold you back little wolf nor would I keep you caged. All I ever wanted was for you to have the chance to grow and make your own choices without being influenced. I wanted our relationship to be real and organic, one of equals. There is a difference here in life experience and it will be my pleasure to watch you keep growing into your own. As long as we are solid and you stay committed to us, I will stay by your side and be there to catch you if necessary. Does that work for you, doll?”

With a watery smile, Amara leans forward and lifts off of the chair enough to kiss her Alpha softly. They didn’t broach the subject of mates but Amara is sure she read between the lines. Maddox will never tell her because he thinks confirming it will make her feel trapped, obligated to be with him. After all, the fates decided they were meant to be together. His insistence that she always has a choice has her falling deeper. A cool breeze caresses their skin, the lights twinkle like stars in the night and their kiss tastes like chocolate, lemon, and vanilla. Amara could not imagine a more perfect night.

The soft music that had been the background track to their dinner grows just the tiniest bit louder and Maddox stands, gently pulling Amara up with him. Bending slightly, he places his free hand over his heart “Would you like to dance with me, doll?” his eyes dance in that way that always makes her go weak in the knees.

“I suppose I can honor you with one” she replies with a playful smirk. Maddox chuckles and straightens up, pulling her close. Up close, her Alpha is like her own personal heater and it makes her want to bury herself in his arms and nuzzle close like a cat.

Her hands settle on his shoulder while his arms circle her waist. Amara looks up and gets lost in the moment as they gaze at each other. Slowly, she raises to her tiptoes while Maddox bends down and their lips meet. It is unhurried and languid. They don’t push it or turn it into anything more sexual. She had thought the night was perfect before but, as they sway under the stars Amara knows she was wrong because this was definitely the perfect way to end their date.