C H A P T E R S I X T E E N

ABU DHABI QUALIFYING

AFTER all the press conferences, the drivers went back to their garages to warm up and prepare for qualifying.

George had gone back to Williams, Zia back to Red Bull. She did a few routine exercises and changed into her race wear. She was just tying up her hair and tucking it into her overalls when there was knock on the door. She called for them to come inside the room, and the door opened.

She turned around, and was shocked to find George standing in her doorway. "Russell, do you need something?" she asked, as she walked across her room to grab her boots and helmet.

He hesitated slightly before he shook his head. "No I uh- just wanted to say god luck. I know this is an important session for you." he said, offering her a slight smile.

Zia nodded. "Yeah it is. I need to be right in there with Max and Lewis otherwise I have failed my only purpose as a Red bull second driver." she joked.

George laughed, but spoke again, "I didn't mean that." He said, silently noting to the fact this could be her last qualifying session in Formula One.

Zia gave him a slightly sad smile. "Enjoy your last joy ride in the Williams." she told him."

George gave her a slightly sympathetic look, before he nodded. "I will. " he left the room, losing the door behind him. Zia stared at the door for a few moments, not knowing where this new found sympathy George had collected for her was coming from. The buzz of her phone broke her gaze from the door, as she saw a message from her race engineer, bugging her to get back down to the pits. She grabbed her helmet and boots, rushing out the door.

COMMENTATOR'S BOX

"SO big session for many drivers today, Antonio Giovinazzi, Zia Powman, George Russell, Valtteri Bottas and of course, our championship rivals." Crofty said, as the drivers began to get in their cars, ready for the final qualifying session of the year. "Big day Martin."

"Indeed it is, especially for the guys over at Red Bull. They desperately need Max on Pole today to give him the best shot at the victory tomorrow. They also really need to get Powman up there, as she'll be a big help for Max if she can hold up Lewis." Martin assessed, as he looked over his notes.

"Speaking of the young Brit, Zia Powman ladies and gentleman, without a seat for next year, first out for the first session. " Crofty said as he watched Zia pull out of the Red Bull garage and into the pitlane, to being Q1.

"OUT of the Q1 : Nikita Mazepin, Mick Schumacher, Nicholas Latifi, Jake Bryant outqualified by his teammate every race this season now, a statistic I'm sure the rookie is not fond of. Antonio Giovinazzi, a disappointing last qualifying for him as he heads off to Formula E, and Fernando Alonso, which I find quite surprising Martin." Crofty rounded up Q1 with the results.

"It is quite a surprise, but we know that Alonso has been a good contender for the Crypto Overtaking Award and is able to push his way through the paddock quite quickly." he said with confidence.

"Very true. Some positives then, Red Bull carried both Verstappen and Powman into Q2, good start if they want her on the front row, and George Russell, another cracking Q2 appearance from the Kings Lynn boy." Crofty mentioned, as a clip of both Zia and George sat in heir cars flashed upon his screen one after the other.

"I do say, these two have been my favorite pair to watch this season. I know we've had some brilliant interactions between Verstappen and Hamilton, but I've got to say the tense rivalry that Powman and Russell has sustained is quite enjoyable. It will be sad to see Zia go at the end of this year I tell you." he admitted.