Capture The Flag p2

"I'm all ears," Chris said and the others gathered around to listen. 

"Okay, first we need to hide our flag," Tris said and I pointed towards the funhouse. 

"We should put it in the funhouse. It'll confuse the hell out of the competitors while they look for it," I said as Four slipped the flag out of its canister. Everyone agreed on the first part. 

"Next, we need a small group of people nearby to protect the flag. One person should stay in the funhouse hidden while everyone else should hide in the various equipment and in the shadows," Tris said. 

"Then the rest of our group will sneak to Eric's team and split up from there. A large squad as a distraction and a smaller one to extract the flag from the tower," I added looking at the rest of our team to see if they were following what we were saying and they were. 

"Does anyone have any objection at all?" 

Nobody did and so we split up the teams. I was with the extraction team with Christina, Tris and Four while everyone else was tasked with being a distraction and engaging in combat. 

I was pumped for the win. Victory would never taste so sweet. 

***

We waited in the bushes for the attack to begin and when we heard the signal, we slid out of our hiding place and made a mad dash for the tower. Even while we were on the outskirts of the battle, we still had to engage in some gunfighting. 

I noticed Eric closing in, "you guys keep going, I've got Eric." I gave a devilish grin and hid behind a crate. 

"Oh initiate, what a pleasure it is to see you," he said in a sing-song voice and fired a shot just as I dived behind another crate. The dart just missed my foot. 

"Hello sir," I said as I peeked out and fired a shot narrowly missing his arm. 

We kept up this back and forth until my gun clicked. "Damn it!" 

Eric was above me in an instant and I squeezed my eyes shut waiting for the pain...

And it never came. Instead, I heard the clicking of his gun as well. "Haha," I smirked and stood up getting ready for a fight. "As much as I care about you, you are not getting into that bell tower."

"Oh really?" He swung and I dodged as I saw Christina and Tris disappear into the doorway. Eric noticed this as well and ran to catch them. 

I ran after him and jumped on his back knocking him over. I heard the wind leave his lungs as he landed and struggled to get free. 

Around us, gunfire and groans rain on. I landed my first blow to Eric's shoulder, intent on not ruining his reputation yet. He wiggled around until he was on his back and bucked me off. 

I ate a face full of dirt and groaned as he crawled on top of me next. We kept up this wrestling on the ground and as the minutes ticked by, I achieved my goal of keeping him away from the tower. Away from my team. Away from his flag. 

Within moments, I heard the cheering and clapping of our team. I watched Christina as she furiously waved the flag of victory high. Tris in the background looked saddened, did Chris do something? I guess I would ask later.  

I jumped up cheering and did a little dance to rub it into Eric. This was maybe my only chance until initiation was over to gain these small victories. 

"Good job initiate, you have come a long way for a stiff," he said while his team gathered around him and I. That was until Tris and Chris broke away from the tower doors and our team came rushing to meet them again. 

I looked at Tris and nodded in respect to her. She nodded back and the praises came pouring in. This was one hell of a happy moment for us. 

I was going to savour the happiness I felt in this moment.