The Fight

We woke up to the clanging metal once again. I groan and throw something at Four, I think it was a shoe and lazily rolled out of the bed. A soft stinging at my side as I remember that I had just gotten a tattoo the night before. 

"Would you stop it with that stupid poll?" I groan placing my hands on my head. The headache was quick to come and I was far from in a good mood from it. "I'll stop with the stupid poll when you stop looking funny when you get out of bed." 

Four said and announced that we had 20 minutes to get dressed, eat breakfast and head to the tracks for a field trip. 

I was the first up and out the door, I didn't even wait around. I just needed to get a minute of me-time. 

I walked into the cafeteria and slowly dragged through the morning's delectable food array and landed on an omelette (yes I knew what an omelette was) and red skin potato hashbrowns done in butter and basil, salt and pepper. Man, I would have killed for salt and pepper in Abnegation. 

I hurried through the rows and sat my tray beside my brother. I had to tell him about Tori.

"She knows," I said and he looked at me curiously. I was keeping my voice low so others wouldn't hear us. "Who knows what?"

"Tori knows what Marcus did to us," I said and told him the rest of the story about her discovery. He nodded, "I trust her not to say anything." 

I smiled, "this omelette is so much better than your eggs, just saying." He scuffs and says that nobody can beat him in the expertise of egg beating. 

"Are you saying, your better at beating eggs than you are beating humans?"

Said the familiar voice of Eric behind us. I give a small sigh before turning around to him, "more like the opposite. He is better at beating humans than he is at beating eggs." It was so hard not to just stand up and hug him right there. 

To-Four grunted, "yeah says the one who literally had to throw away a pan because whatever concoction you put on there melted and wouldn't come off?" 

I frowned, I forgot about that day. I mumbled hiding my reddening cheeks in my hands, "I was 7 give me a break. I was just trying to make pancakes and they didn't mix properly." 

Four poked my cheek with a long pointer finger. A teasing smile currently resting on your face. You then remembered something that could trump him in the embarrassment department, "at least I didn't cry about the dead bunny in the fields behind our house. And you were 12 at the time."

He gawked. Now Eric was smirking Eric sat down. "Oh, I want to hear this," he said. His hand met with mine under the table and gave it a quick squeeze. I noticed my friends finally stumbling into the room. They were barely awake. When they noticed me at a table with their two ranking trainers they sat at a different one nearby. 

I squeezed his hand back and let go so I could shove a piece of egg in my mouth. Once finished I looked at him, "well if you want to find out, why don't you ask the one it happened too." 

I got up and went to my friends and I could see the dawning reason for my outburst on his face. 

***

Tris POV

We stood by the towering walls of the city. "What do you think is out there?" Will pondered. "Amity farms?"

"No, beyond the farms."

I shook my head having no idea. "Monsters?" Christina said in answer to his question. She screwed up her face at the thought before shrugging. Will smiled at the thought. 

Four told us more about the working men at the fence and allowed us some free time to wander around. Max was gone already. Climbing up the steps and away from everyone else. I decided not to follow wanting some alone time myself. 

I was having doubts about joining Dauntless. I didn't know if it was the right choice. I sighed as I leaned against the fence. I looked right and saw Four standing beside his sister. They looked so opposite. Four was tall and muscular and she was short and lean.

I sighed and stared away from them thinking about Caleb and thinking about my family. Did I really make the right choice coming to Dauntless? At this moment, I really wasn't so sure.  

***

Max POV

Tris was fighting Peter.

That was all I could think about when I watched her step onto the mat. He quickly put an end to her and I frowned at the already forming bruises on her face. For the amount of time she could, she kept herself afloat by dodging and getting a few weak punches in, but she was quick to the flour and pulled out of the room by Will and Christina. At least she would earn points for staying long. 

It took me only a moment to realize that Four had left the room and we were left at the mercy of Eric alone. 

"Max and Al," Eric said and we stepped onto the mat. I had a feeling that Al wasn't going to put effort into his swings so I looked to him. "You gotta swing Al. Don't jeopardize your spot here for something as useless as not hitting me." 

I didn't know Eric heard me say this as he stood between us and called out to fight. He moved away eyeing me carefully. 

Al's eyes were wide. I continued, "I know what the factionless are like, they are ruthless. They will gut you if you're weak; you won't survive unless you know how to fight." 

He took a swing that landed on my ribs. I let out a soft grunt. I unlocked a beast, fear could make a person do awful things. Like going too far to knock somebody out. 

His hits were sloppy and each one that landed was enough to cause explosions of pain, but not enough to leave me unconscious since he didn't get in a proper hit. If he knew how to fight, he would have been better than Edward.

At one point he managed to get me to the floor and began kicking me. I saw a beast and not a boy. An image of Marcus. He lifted a foot and kicked me. I let out a wheeze when it caught my ribs, I would have been crying by now if I could. But fear and the fact that I knew I could handle this pain (in fact the pain was slowly subsiding as he continued his reign) left me quiet, aside from small grunts.

I could see from the corner of my eye everyone watching me. Al loomed over me and kicked me once, twice, thrice in the head and finally, I was seeing spots in my vision. That was when I realized I felt something bad: fear. 

Eric POV

If I could stop this fight I would. The panic in her eyes unsettled me but I couldn't do anything to stop it. She let out another groan as he caught her in the stomach. 

"Just knock her out already," I murmured quietly. Four was back in the room and the alarm in his eyes was evident. Finally, he gave her the knock out blow and she flopped to the mat. She looked small at that moment. 

"Al is the winner, good job initiate," I hated having to say that. "Now you can take her to the infirmary." I couldn't hold her at this moment. I couldn't control my feelings if I did.

I circled his name on the list and called up the next fighters.