Knife Throwers

Eric was in a bad mood when he came into the training room. His face was set in a stoic frown and his brows were practically knitted together. I noticed there was a whole bunch of targets set up in a row as well as a table filled with knives. 

"This is it," his voice was rough. "You are almost at the end of the first stage of training."

Oh, what a relief that was! I couldn't wait to be done with this phase of training. I was hanging under the redline, because up to this date, I lost every fight, being knocked out by Al and tossed around and beaten by everyone else. 

The only thing that upset me about that is Eric had to grade me fairly, so as not to draw attention to our relationship. However, I was feeling a lot more confident, I had one more fight and if I could win it, I might stay in Dauntless.

"Today, you will be learning how to throw knives," I could obviously tell what we were doing today. I could tell why knife throwing would be a skill we needed. We can't always have a gun on us, however, knives are easy to conceal and carry. 

I looked at my brother, he looked at ease. He was probably still living in the win from last night. He made his way to the targets and demonstrated how to hold the knife and then how to throw it. 

He threw it with ease and it hit the target with the sound of cracking wood. And now it was our turn.  

With every thud, the knives thrown either bounced on the floor with a resounding clatter or stuck to the wooden targets in front of each initiate. I noticed instantly the progress Tris was making being the first to hit the target, but I also noticed that Al was doing really poorly. 

A small part of me felt bad for him, he wasn't doing very well. The only reason he was still in the clear was that he beat Will and me in the fights.  

I threw my own knife once again and it hit the centre of the target like I had 7 times already. 

I was in the zone, every knife I threw was now hitting the intended spot every time. I was feeling good and I began testing things out. I tried throwing it under my leg, closing my eyes, and all around showboating. Most of them stuck in their intended area.

All of a sudden I heard Eric telling everyone to stop, I guess the rhythmic thumping from the knives had put me into a lalaland for a minute there. I stopped as directed and turned to see what he was going to say. 

"Stand in front of the target." He was talking to Al and it wasn't a request, it was a demand, I had no idea what he was going to do, but I didn't like it. "Four is going to throw knives at you, you flinch you're out." 

I knew there was no chance in hell he was going to survive this without moving a muscle. 

"Do you really think that's a good idea, Eric?" Four leaned closer questioning Eric, which I could tell was a bad idea.

"Do remember who's in charge here," his voice was a low growl and I felt it vibrating in my core. If that voice was not attached to anger, I probably would have been jelly. My brother threw his hands up in surrender, Al would be standing in front of that target. 

He went to stand in front of the target and I could see that he was shaking like a leaf. 

"Stop," Tris said looking at Eric. "Anyone can stand in front of a target, that doesn't show how brave you are."

"Ok, you go stand in front of the target," he motioned for her to move and Tris took Al's place. I still wasn't too fond of Al after he beat me up. I still got flashes of Marcus anytime I saw him. He tried standing beside me and I slid away moving closer to my two comforts Tobias and Eric. "Same rules apply, you flinch, you're both out."

Four lifted his hand to throw the first knife. "Hold up," he holds out his hand. "Max, take the knives, you're going to throw them."

I glared at him. I was pissed. "You're kidding me, right?"

"No. Take the knives and throw initiate."

"What, are you hoping I hit her? Or do you think you can get her to flinch if I'm the one throwing them?"

"Are you doubting your skills? I've seen you throw. And if I did have those intentions, I would throw them myself. Throw the knives."

"And if I don't?"

"You could leave now with them." Oh, I was mad. What was wrong with him? 

I strode over to Four and snatched the knives from his hands. "Tris, I won't hurt you, I promise."

She nodded, "I trust you."

I pulled my hand back, holding the knife securely. My intended target was about 2 inches above her head. I flung my hand forward and hit my target. 

"Give her a little shave off the top," Eric said and I turned to him with a glare. We were going to have a talk after this. 

I threw another knife, it struck right above her head. Tris still didn't flinch and I was thankful for that. It really allowed me to feel a bit more confident. She gave me a brief smile and nodded. God, I really loved this girl. She really was my best friend.

I threw another knife, it landed closer to her arm. "You can get closer."

I frowned, knowing what he intended. "I'm sorry," I mouthed and Tris knew what I must do. 

I flung the knife once more, it landed right beside her head and cut her ear. 

"Good job initiate points for bravery, but not as many points as you just lost for opening your mouth," he turned to me. "And nice throwing. Points for you as well, but if you talk back to me again, we're going to have an issue."

He dismissed the class and I strode over to him once everyone was gone. 

"What the hell was that about, Eric!" I hissed grabbing his arm. "What is wrong with you?"

He looked me in the face, and his angered features melted away. 

"Max, I'm sorry," his voice was soft and he went to put his arms around me but I moved away. I didn't want a hug at this moment. I was too mad.

"I don't want a hug, I want to know what that was about."

He sighed running his hands through his hair. 

"I was helping the two of you out," he said quietly. I barely heard him. "The other initiates were making fun of the two of you and taunting you, so I wanted to show them that the two of you were not to be messed with. I was confident she wouldn't flinch and I was more than confident about your knife skills."

My anger seeped away, knowing he was just trying to showcase our strengths to get the others off our back was really sweet. "As for Al, I'm still not over what he did to you."

I hugged him, stuffing my face in his chest. I loved his scent so much. "Thank you."

He kissed the top of my head. "Why were you so grouchy when you got here."

"People are mocking me about losing to Four for the first time in Capture the Flag. They're also trying to tell me I have the hots for Aria. As you can tell, that's not true."

I decided to tease him, tossing a little bit of my brown hair to the side and giving him a sweet look. "It's not?"

He seemed to melt a little more. "It's not, I'm falling in love with a different girl. A girl named Max."

I was not expecting that answer. I was at a loss for words and so, I reacted on impulse and kissed him. It was a deep and passionate kiss. Once I pulled away, I looked into his eyes. I could see how much he loved me with the look in his eyes alone. 

"I'm falling in love with you as well." 

How we had these feelings after only knowing each other for a few weeks, I could never tell you. 

And without saying another word, I smiled at him and skipped away to have lunch with the rest of my friends.