Prologue - Two Little Children

The seven-year-old girl hid behind her older brother as Abnegation men and women carried their mama away on a stretcher. Grey fabric was everywhere and it overwhelmed the two. White fabric covered her body so the little girl and boy couldn't see her. They were told she was dead. She died losing their little sibling.

A woman, Natalie Prior, bends down and pats their heads saying something never really heard of by anyone from Abnegation, "Be brave, your papa is going to need you both."

The girl nods her head and clutches her brother tighter, their only protector was now gone.
Everyone on their way out the door gives their condolences to the already broken family. They didn't know they were leaving behind two children in grave danger.

Once all the men and women left the boy and girl run to the boy's room to hide from their papa. They know what is coming.

The raged banging came from the other side of the door the girl squeaks and begins to cry as she clutches her brother's arm tight. 

"Tobias James Eaton, let me in!" Their papa's voice rang through the thin wooden door crystal clear. 

The little boy shook with fear. "OPEN THIS DOOR!" He shouted again making the little girl jump.
The alcohol they knew was fuelling his anger. The banging comes again. "Tobi," the little girl whispers, "let papa in or he'll kill us."

Hesitantly, he moved closer and opened the door, there was no lock on the door, papa just wanted his children to fear him and they did. 

The little girl doesn't hide behind her brother anymore, she holds his arm and stands at his side. she had wiped away her tears to try and stand strong.

Papa rushed into the room in a rage and looked at the children standing bravely in front of him. This made him angrier as he began to remove his belt. 

That belt meant nothing good was going to happen. Papa raises his hand holding the long belt in his firm grip. "This is for your own good," he sneers. 

He brings the belt down and the little girl pushes her brother put of the way. The crack of the belt sounded before the little girl stifled her pained cry. She clutched her fists as she falls to her knees. She was shaking as he cracked the belt against her again. It sounded like thunder in the sky.

The girl kept getting hit over and over again and finally he turned to the little boy. Blood dripped down the little girl as she lay weakly on the hard floor. The belt cracked again and the little boy fell next to the girl.

He too was trying to hide his pain as well. The kids' whimper as papa finally left the room. The boy stood first and then the girl followed after.

The boy went to get the first aid kit to fix the wounds of the little girl. It stung and finally, she was healed. It was his turn and he hissed as the medication cleaned his long wounds. 

"Tobi?" Her voice was small and she cuddled against his side, he pulled her close when he gave his whisperer response, "Yeah Maxi?" 

She gulps and looks at him, "We need to transfer when we are older." 

The little boy agreed and they made a pact, whichever the little boy chose, the little girl would follow.