The Tattoo

AN: I am WELL aware that I mixed up the order of when they got the tattoos and the fighting. It's been soooooooo long now since I watch the movie or read the books. Please bear with me, I am now using a plot summary to help me with the rest of it so I can remember. 

More adventures to come!

Love you all,

Pandemonium. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Max POV

It didn't take long to get to the cafeteria and while Eric and I were joking and talking on our way there, things had to get serious before I set foot into the place my friends, fellow initiates and fellow faction members were.

I was sure that my friends would once again be mad at me for this, but I was not jeopardizing my chance at making an actual home for myself. I couldn't let that happen. Maybe after, I would explain the pain Marcus put me through.

As we reached the doors I turned to him with an angered look, "I'm ready to play my part." He nodded and swung the door open.

Everyone watched as he shoved me into the room. Though he wasn't actually rough, I made it seem like he was.

I ran for my seat and slipped in beside Tris.

"What was that for?" Christina asked me. "He chewed me out for getting involved. I'm surprised I haven't died." I say before remembering that I hadn't gotten myself any food.

"I got you a plate, Max," Christina said as she slid it towards me. "I felt bad that you got called away, so I got you food."

Thanking her happily I chowed down not even asking what I had been given. I groaned once again at the new food. "What is this heaven?!" I cry out to the amusement of the friends I have made.

"That my friend is what they call pizza. For you, I got the meat lovers," Christina chuckled. "Did anyone ever tell you that you sound like you're having sex when you groan like that."

I nod, remembering Eric and the other leaders saying just that yesterday.

I kept eating, this time schooling my features to show my joy, but not the pleasure. Take that Marcus, I'm eating delicious food and I didn't need to cook it.

"So Max, we're all getting tattoos tonight, wanna come? Show off your Dauntless?" I chuckle. "Heck yeah, I'm coming!" I said and they erupted into laughter. Man, it's good to have friends.

***

We stepped into the tattoo parlour that night after dinner. We still had plenty of time before curfew to get them, go shopping and get home.

Instantly, I was drawn towards the Phoenix in the glass case closer to the back. While everyone else was at the front looking through other tattoos, I study this one. I couldn't take my eyes off its beauty.

"It means strength and courage," I recognize that voice. "It's not a very popular one because it takes forever to do."

Strength and courage, I needed that for a long time now. "I want it," I said looking at her for the first time since she came over. Tori swore the moment she saw me. "And you didn't follow my advice then?"

"I was following my brother," I said. "And I needed to get out."

She ignored the second half for the moment, "who's your brother?"