Divergent

Two years later

I barely survived the past two years with my father. As I thought after leaving the hospital, it only got worse for me. Marcus had beaten me unconscious on more than one occasion and the rapes became more aggressive the less I reacted. 

At least three more times I ended up in the hospital, usually when a new report from Erudite comes out stating he beats me. In a drunken rage, he would beat me until I broke something, or nearly bleed out, or both. 

Today I was sitting in the cafeteria waiting to take my aptitude test with my faction. Tomorrow, I would go to Dauntless and join my brother. I hope that he remembers me. I have changed so much since I was 14. 

"Maxine Eaton..." I tuned the rest of the names out after hearing mine and stood up to follow the Abnegation woman to my testing room. I thank her as she shows me the door I must enter. 

A woman in black with tan skin and piercings comes into view as I entered the room. "My name is Tori, I will be administering your test today Miss Eaton," her voice is bland as if she has been saying the same thing all day, which I am certain she has. I don't even pay attention to the mirrors around me not caring what I would look like.

"What is it with Abnegation and mirrors?" She says curiously and I smile at her sitting in the chair. "It's self-indulgent to look in a mirror for too long. If we get in our heads that we are beautiful, we will walk around the place like we own it. Let our hair down, be wild. And please Tori, call me Maxine, I hate my last name."

She smirks, "Hate is a strong word for your faction. I never heard of an Abnegation with humour." I give her a sly smile as she hands me a glass with a clear foul-smelling liquid. "Maybe I am transferring to Dauntless. What's this?" She doesn't answer just motions me to drink it. So I do. 

I wake up in the cafeteria. It's empty which confuses me and I look around before the voice of the woman I know too well rings throughout the room. "Choose." 

I see two pedestals with baskets resting on them, one with a knife and the other with cheese. "Why? What are these for?" Jeanine's voice is harsher, "CHOOSE!" I fold my arms across my chest in defiance. "Very well," 

The pedestals disappear and snarling comes from behind me. I turn around and see a large wild dog. Now I understand what each option was for. It moves forward closely and I rake my mind for a way to deal with it. 

I think back to one of my science classes with lessons about dogs and remember hearing about keeping eye contact is a show of aggression. I move my eyes to the floor and sit on the ground as the dog bounds towards me. I close my eyes and I feel a tongue? 

The dog was licking me as I open my eyes. I give a small laugh and get to my feet again. I pet the dog for a bit before a voice echos around me. "Puppy!" Oh no. 

The dog is snarling again and runs after the little girl in a pure white dress. "NO!" I scream and run to jump onto the dogs back.

I blink and find myself on a crowded bus. I look for a seat and find the only one is behind me. I take a seat. 

I stand to allow someone to sit and an old man wearing black and white holds a newspaper saying "Brutal Murderer Finally Apprehended." He looked familiar, I just couldn't seem place him.

The man notices me starring at the paper, "Do you know him?" I look him in the eye, he is Candor, he knows when I lie, "Yes, he looks familiar, I just can't seem to place him, sir." He begins to scream that I saved him making everyone angry and uncomfortable.

"Sir you need to calm down, these people are getting mad, I don't want them to hurt you." He keeps going so I wrap him in a hug and finally calms down. At the next stop, I get off the bus. 

I open my eyes and Tori is starring at me. "I did it all wrong didn't I?" I saw looking sad. She shakes her head no before standing up and leaving the room. Coming back after a few long agonizing moments she finally gives me an answer, "There is no way to do the test wrong, your results were inconclusive, you got an equal aptitude for all five factions."

I gasped, I knew what that means, Marcus told me. "I am divergent. How? What do I do?" She looks at me unsure for a minute before finally answering. "You tested Erudite when you were submissive towards the dog, Dauntless when you jumped onto the dog, Abnegation when giving up your seat for another person, Candor for telling the man the truth and Amity when you comforted him to keep the peace." I nod, it makes sense.

"I put your test results as Abnegation. Don't tell anyone, being divergent is very dangerous for you. You could end up dead. I suggest you either stay in Abnegation or transfer to Amity, there are no serums during initiation there."

I nod at thanking her before I exit the room and begin to head home. I needed to have dinner on the table before Marcus arrives. 

I thought about my choice, Tori said to stay away from Dauntless, but my brother is there. I made a pact with him. Without much deliberation, I decided I am going to stick with going to Dauntless and if I die, at least I got to see my brother again. Hopefully.

***

I just finished dinner and placed the plates on the table when Marcus returns. He slams the door closed.

I sigh and walk to the door to help him remove his coat and put it away. "Hello father, how was work?" I remove his coat and he watches my every movement as I put it on the simple coat rack. His eyes darting across my body.

"Terrible," was his short gruff answer as he throws himself into the chair. I nod taking my seat beside him. If I sat anywhere different, he would beat me. His hand lands on my lap and I freeze.
"Results?" I stammer for a moment before saying Abnegation, He smirks, "Good."