Chapter 13

Peter's POV

I think something is wrong with me.

I keep dodging Harley's calls since what happened yesterday. I don't know why, I just feel weird every time I see his caller ID or his stupid face.

I threw on a flannel and then a sweater over it since today was supposed to be a little chilly, which is understandable for mid- September.

I walked out of my room to see May left me a plate of pancakes and a note that explained that she went to go get groceries. I ate them and headed out to the subway. On the walk there, I checked my book bag to double check to see my suit and web shooters in there. I'm not dumb. I had noticed Harley suspiciously looking at my sleeves yesterday. I'm not going to continuously wear them. It's pretty idiotic on my part. What if someone sees them?

I checked my phone to find 2 missed calls from Harley and 5 unread messages. I contemplated opening them. I opened it.

6:45 am

Hey, am I still picking you up?

???

Hello

Are you there?

7:10 am

Okay, well I'll see you at school... I guess?

I looked up from my phone and shoved it in my pocket. I felt bad that I ignored him, but maybe it was for the best? Maybe this feeling that I have every time I think of him is my spidey sense telling me to ditch him. It's not safe to be friends with people who don't know my secret. But also, it's not safe to be friends with people who do know it.

Should I not have friends?

I shook the thought from my head and when I came back from my thoughts, the train had stopped at my stop, across the street from the school.

I hopped off and made my way into the school, later than normal but not late.

I walked over to my locker, starting to feel a bit of the sting on my abdomen from last night's patrol. As I turned onto the hall my locker was on, I saw Flash, standing right next to it, clearly uncomfortable. I tilted my head as I walked closer to my enemy, who I had saved multiple times I might add.

"Um, hey?" I said, clearly confused. He shuffled his feet.

"Hey, Pen— Peter. Uh, I just uh, wanted to apologize for—"

"Flash, you don't have to. It's fine—"

"Yes I do, Parker. What I did— it was out of line. Yeah, I've said a bunch of shit to you for no other reason then," he looked around and then lowered his voice, "I'm jealous, okay? You barely have to try to get an answer right while I struggle to get at least an A. And... well, hearing all these great things about how your aunt is involved in your life and cares..."

Hearing this coming from Flash made my stomach churn. I never really understood why he hated me so much. He just wants someone to care. His own parents don't. I felt like pulling him into a hug and telling him everything would be okay.

"I'm sorry." Is all I could come up with. He chuckled at that. "What?"

"Even when you aren't in the wrong, you still have the need to apologize. That's something else I envy. You are so caring that it becomes annoying. There is like no flaw in you." Now it was my turn to chuckle. If only he knew.

"Well, thank you. And you do care. You just showed me that you cared enough to apologize and that is a big step." I smiled and he returned it. The bell interrupted the nice moment and the halls started to flood with people. He dropped the smile and it was like a switch flipped inside him. He left me next to my locker like nothing happened. Great.