Chapter 17

Harley's POV

I didn't sleep at all that night. I was too busy crying and guilt ridden and thinking the worse.  I got dressed about thirty minutes before I usually do so I could go see Peter before going to school. Hopefully he was being allowed visitors now.

I made my way to the medbay, luckily avoiding Tony. To say I was pissed with him would have been an understatement. I walked through the glass doors to come face to face with Dr. Cho.

"Harley." She looked at me with a sympathetic frown. Somebody told her I shouldn't see him.

"Dr. Cho, I need to see him. Just for a minute. Please." I was on the verge of tears again, but I pushed them away. I had to be strong.

"I'm okay with it. Let him through." May said from behind her. She looked horrible. Her eyes were swollen as well as she had bags under her eyes. She looked pale and exhausted. Her hair was all messy and frizzy. But I couldn't have looked that far off. I then heard my stomach growl. Oh, yeah I haven't eaten since lunch yesterday.

Dr. Cho looked at me hesitantly before letting me through. I slowly made my way toward May and she motioned for me to go in. As soon as I stepped through the door, I regretted it. I felt like running out. Nausea hit me as I looked at the pale fragile figure in front of me. I could see his chest slowly going up and down, as he had a tube in his nostrils. He had multiple things connected to him and he looked not far from dead.

"Has— has he woke up at all?" I asked, swallowing hard. When she didn't answer, I peeled my eyes off of Peter to look at her standing in the doorframe. I could see her through the water invading my eyes. "Well?"

She opened her mouth then closed it. She looked like she was having a war within herself to tell me something.

"What is it, May?" I asked her in a broken voice, trying to keep the tears at bay.

"He woke up for a second, but then went under again." She let a tear fall as she took in a deep breath, "He croaked out your name before falling unconscious again."

I stumbled back as I looked back at him then back at her, "Are- are you sure? Maybe he said hungry or something." I shook my head.

Is he seriously thinking about me while he is half dead?

May let out a quiet sob, "He said your name, Harley."

I looked at the ground for a few seconds before rushing out of the room, accidentally pushing May. I ran to the bathroom at the end of the hallway and placed both of my hands on the sink counter, holding on for dear life, knowing my legs would give up on me if I didn't.

Why did he say my name? I have hurt him so many times since I came here three months ago. Why? He should hate me. Why doesn't he hate me?

Next thing I know, I was staring at a bloodied, shattered mirror. I looked down at my balled up fists to see fresh blood oozing from them. Blood. Lots of blood. Peter's blood. I stumbled onto the wall behind me and let out a shrieking scream.

Why him? Why did he have to get hurt? Why did I fall for him?

So many questions were running through my head. I can't silence my brain. It's running on its own.

My scream turns into a wrenching sob as I fell to the ground. I couldn't look at the mirror. I couldn't look at my hands. I felt numb.

I barely register the door bursting open as I continued to stare at the part of the floor that wasn't covered in my blood.

Someone bends down beside me and takes my face in both their hands, forcing me to look at him. It was Sam.

"Go get a kit!" Sam's voice sounds echoed and far away. I look over to the door to see Steve running out. Dr. Cho and Dr. Banner are right outside the door with a look of worry and fear on their faces.