Chapter 18

Peter's POV

Aunt May and Dr. Cho made me see a therapist today. They said it is a therapist that I can talk to about anything, either as Peter or Spider-Man. It is Tony's therapist. I didn't tell Harley about it when he came to see me. I was going to, but then he left abruptly.

I argued with them for a couple minutes, until I couldn't anymore. Talking passionately for more than a minute is exhausting.

The therapist walked in and closed the door behind her, I guess as a show of respect to a client's confidentiality. She had long, dark brown hair that was pulled back into a ponytail and had round glasses on. She couldn't have been older than 40.

She pulled up a chair to my bed and gave me a smile, "Hello, Peter. My name is Dr. Brown, but you can call me Tina. Today, I would just like to get to know you, if that's okay. I can even tell you a bit about me if you would like."

I bit my lip and nodded. "Okay." I said, my voice coming out coarse.

"Okay, so I will go first. My name is Tina Brown and I have a 7 year old daughter. I am 37 years old. I have a P.H.D in the field of Psychology, which I have had for about 8 years. I grew up in Queens until the age of 12, and then my family and I moved to Brooklyn. I am a certified Psychiatrist and am here for you anytime you need me." She scribbled something down on her notepad and ripped a piece of paper up. She gave me it, showing it was her number. "Anytime you need me Peter, I will be there." She gave me a genuine smile. "How about you, Peter? Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?"

I thought about it for a moment, "Um, well uh... My name is Peter Parker. I'm a junior in high school and uh, live with my Aunt May. My uh, parents died when I was young and my uncle..." I shook my head, "I uh, I'm..." I looked up at her and then back at my hands, "Two years ago I got bit by a radioactive spider that should have killed me, but didn't. Instead it uh, it gave me... powers. I uh, guess could be considered a hero?" I scoffed at myself for saying that last part. I thought back to this morning, when Harley tried to assure me I was a hero.

She looked at me for a hard moment, "You don't believe you are a hero that saves people?"

I clenched my jaw, "I— I don't know. I mean, yeah I have saved a few people but... but at what cost?"

"What does that mean, Peter?" She asked with an unreadable look on her face.

I gave her a long stare for a moment before I tried changing the subject. "So you were Tony's therapist?"

She noticed I changed the subject, but didn't seem to mind, "I still am. He has come a far way since the alien attack in New York." She smiled, "He talks about you all the time in our sessions."

"Oh."

"Do you have anything you want to get off your chest? Maybe talk about how you are feeling? Or what you aren't feeling?"

"I— I think I'm good." I snapped. I know it was rude, but I don't need this. I'm fine! I can take care of myself. I doubt this lady even wants to be here, dealing with a whiny 17 year old. I'm fucking Spider-Man for crying out loud! I shouldn't be this weak.

"You seem to be thinking about something, Peter. Are you sure you don't have anything to talk about? You know, it's my job to read human behavior." She stares at me for a second, "Have you been sleeping well?"

"I've been sleeping fine." I lied a little too quickly. To be honest, I would want nothing more than to lay my head on my pillow and welcome the sleep.

"Okay. Well, if you need to talk to me, about anything, I mean anything, you call me, okay? Peter, just so you know, people do care. And you do deserve the best." She smiled before standing up to walk out.