chapter 20

Peter's POV

Aunt May dropped off some clothes and my book bag for me early this morning. It was a red and brown flannel with a tan sweater and some jeans. As I picked up my flannel, I heard a knock on the door. Knowing it was Dr.Cho, I told her to come in.

It wasn't Dr. Cho. It was Harley with two paper bags that smelled like glazed donuts. He immediately raised his eyebrow as he stared at my bare chest. I turned around and immediately started to fumble with the buttons as I buttoned up my shirt.

"I uh, I thought you were Dr. Cho." I blushed, luckily still not facing him as I threw the sweater over my head. I turned around, smoothing down the wrinkles of my sweater. I looked up and he was holding out one of the bags for me.

"It's a donut." He said plainly with no emotion.

I nodded reluctantly. I pursed my lips as I sat down on the bed and took out my donut. After a long minute of silenced awkwardness, Dr. Cho walked in with a smile.

"You are officially released, Peter. I recommend not jumping right into your spidey activities, and here is a doctor's note for you to skip out of Gym." She handed me a paper.

I nodded and plastered on a fake smile. But she knew that I would be back out there by tomorrow. But she thought it doesn't hurt to try.

I flung my book bag on my back and flashed Harley a smile, "You ready?"

He scoffed, "I should be asking you that."

When we got outside, he opened the passenger door for me, and I stuck out my tongue at him, but got in.

"Are you sure you are ready?" He asked me and I gave him a smile.

"Yes, it's high school. I've dealt with much worse." I explained and he shrugged as he started driving.

When we got there, I took a deep breath and got out of the car. My heart was beating pretty fast, although I have no idea why. But once Harley was right next to me, it slowed. We walked in together and as soon as we made it to our lockers, Ned ran at me and pulled me into a hug. I let out a little laugh and he caught on.

I was "sick" not dying. People would think it was weird that he was acting like I almost died.

I walked into my first period and I noticed that Harley hadn't left my side since we got out of the car.

"Peter! Glad you are back! So, since you are back, I am almost done with all the decorations, but it would be a big help if you and Harley would come to my house after school and help. It should take at max 30 minutes if we all work together." Betty said as soon as I walked in.

"O-okay." I replied with a smiled.

"You look much better for someone who had chicken pox... or was it strep throat?" Flash said from behind me.

I turned around with a smile, "Actually I had both. Yeah, it was quite the week." I turned back to Betty, "I'm sorry I couldn't help over the weekend, but my doctor wanted to make sure I wasn't contagious anymore."

She smiled and placed a hand on my arm, "It's okay, Peter. I would rather you stayed home than get me infected."

I glanced over at Harley who had his eyes on Betty's hand. I walked out of the touch and walked to my seat. As Harley sat down I asked him if he was okay.

"I'm fine." He said giving me a hesitant smile.

During gym, I gave the coach my doctors excuse and he motioned for me to go sit in the stands. On my way over, I had this itchy feeling. I looked over to the other side of the gym to see Flash looking at me suspiciously. I sat down and took out a book.