86 - The Way of Dragons

The entrance hall to the dragon's lair was only wide enough to allow a single human visitor at a time. With Baron Hadrian leading the charge and Sir Bayne taking up the rear, they walked and sometimes edged forth in solid darkness. They'd had to abandon the torch by the entrance, fearing this tunnel, too, would be one poisoned by invisible, explosive gas the Orientators had warned about.

Seconds dragged on into minutes. The breeze flowing in to supply them with fresh air whistled a high note. Yet, surely this tunnel must open into a cavern at some point. Large enough for twenty dragons and a hostage. Unless they were in the wrong cave, that was—

"Bring The Axel and no more, I wrote. Could you not read?"

Gillian's cold voice echoed along the tunnel to Arinel in the back, and she stuffed her mouth with her fist to stifle a shriek, as Jerald wrapped her in his arms. Zier jerked back so far, he stamped on her foot. Simon swore feverishly, and she heard Christopher grab for his sword. As expected, she heard nothing from the two Hadrians in the front.

Like cursed stars, against solid darkness, glowing green eyes lit up, one pair after another. Five—ten—fifteen—twenty. Then, at long last, came the strike of a match, and a distinguished fire sprang back to life at the heart of the circular stone hollow. Roughly twenty men lined the walls, some on their feet, some on their behind, luminous green eyes flickering with miniature fires, their bare bodies covered by a layer of silvery scales.

Gillian sat on a conveniently-placed boulder by the fire. Behind him stood Dockar, his reed-thin, beady-eyed lieutenant. And there, with her shoulder in Dockar's hand—was Meya. Her hair fell rich and lustrous to her waist, as fiery red-gold as the fire before her, and her skin was similarly coated by metallic scales—she had flown with them here. Relief filled her eyes when she spotted Arinel in the shadows, replaced by guilt and fear when she settled on Coris.

"Twenty dragons against seven humans sedated and blindfolded to a location decided by you. I'm not sure you should be the one to complain."

Coris walked boldly into the fray. Arinel heard the wry grin in his voice. Gillian smirked as he rose to his feet, the lights in his eyes dancing in good fun,

"I've heard much about you, Coris Hadrian. Under normal circumstances, you'd never expose yourself to such odds. Your brother used to be your one weakness. And now—"

"How sentimental." Coris shook his head in pity, "You believe I was there out of love for my brother and my parents. My priority was keeping the Hadrian line from dying out."

Arinel felt as if air itself had thickened on their side. Of course, it had to be a bluff, but with Coris, it was just as likely not.

Coris's smile vanished, leaving only cold emptiness.

"Do what you'd like with the Greeneye. I'm simply here to protect the interests of Hadrian and Latakia."

Coris didn't spare Meya the slightest glance. Meya, for her part, hid her emotions well, but it was impossible to miss that split-second of heartbreak before pride took over. Yet, Coris continued without a hitch,

"You need The Axel, Lattis to reconstruct The Rota, and safe passage for all dragons to Everglen. You'd have better odds of convincing the King of Latakia by working with us Hadrians."

"In exchange, you must provide us literature on Nostran surgery to remove The Axel from its hiding place. You must promise to compensate for the five Crossetian men you killed, spare the citizens of Latakia, and help defend Latakia from Nostra's retaliation." Coris heaved a long sigh, his gaze downcast, "It takes time, but this way, there would be minimal bloodshed on both sides."