99 - The Bargain

The light of new dawn shone upon the Jewel of the Desert. Manservants held their breath as Lady Hyacinth led her entourage into the Great Hall. To be honest, they were nervous every meal. It wasn't a strange sight. Even when she had emerged in a mellow mood—which she didn't—her temperament could swing in the opposite direction once she received her letters and heard her agenda for the day.

A high-ranking official handed a stack of letters to Healer Hasif once she'd assumed her spot on Amoriah's right hand. Amoriah snatched herself a slab of unleavened bread, then poured a pond of olive oil over it.

"So, Kellis. You found a connection between Healer Hasif and the brothel, yet?" She asked, shooting a dark look at the freeloading Hadrians. Baroness Sylvia glared back.

Coris closed his eyes and took deep breaths. Cleygar and Lors had been lying blind and mindless for days because of Amoriah's negligence. A decent ruler would be ashamed visitors had been harmed under his watch and would do all in his power to help. Just how much quality seed was Amoriah promised from the king?

Zier, meanwhile, was toying with a tomato and didn't seem to be paying attention. Father remained calm, apologetic even, as he shook his head.

"None so far, but we shall continue to investigate. My men are worse than dead, Amoriah. Their families will demand answers. I hope you'd let us impose on you a while longer."

Before Amoriah could do more than huff in exasperation, the great doors opened a sliver. In edged a guard who came scurrying down the aisle.

"My lady, a delivery from Jaise."

She reported. The news brought a grin of triumph to Amoriah. The Hadrians knew enough not to react. Like his parents, Coris simply fixed a wary eye on her.

"Fresh seed!" Amoriah threw up her hands in jubilation, "Bring them in and unmask them. They'd better not be dregs this time around."

The guard bowed and hurried back up the aisle. She heaved back both doors, revealing five chained, masked and cloaked figures led by a similarly obscured figure. The guard escorted the warden and his prisoners towards the Lady. At her nod, he stripped them of their masks, revealing five pairs of glowing green eyes on olive-skinned faces.

Gasps and murmurs rose from other occupants of the main table—Amoriah's three hulking daughters,  her wards, and high-ranking officials. Castle workers on the long tables stood up and craned their necks to see what the commotion was about. Amoriah was temporarily speechless, before her cheeks darkened from an influx of boiling blood.

"Greeneyes?!" She screeched, banging her fist on the table, "As if we need more Greeneye seed diluting our pure blood! Off to the Needlehouse they go! I'll have Winterwen answer for this!"

The warden, to his credit, didn't flinch. He produced a ring of keys from his sleeve then slotted it into the manacles on his nearest captive. Once the man was freed, he gave him the key so the man would free his fellows in turn. He turned to the seething Amoriah. Coris noticed the pair of lips behind the metal grille—thin, beautiful, painted in shiny black.

"You're in luck, it appears." The warden spoke in a familiar deep, serene voice. Coris's heart leapt.

"Winterwen?" Amoriah cried, eyes bulging. Lady Jaise unmasked and lowered her hood, revealing her beautiful, high-cheekboned face, freeflowing black hair, and one glowing green eye. An ornate circlet with tassels of glittering jet shrouded her empty eye socket from view.

"What's the meaning of this?" demanded Amoriah.

"I heard my convicts are subjected to punishments my bereft hadn't called for." Winterwen glided up the steps to the main table. Amoriah strove to look unfettered.