111 - Coming Clean

Fire crackled merrily in the hearth. Jason excused himself and ushered the protesting Jezia away, closing the door behind them as the tale unfolded, whereas Arinel and Zier joined in with their confessions as it developed.

Coris ended the last leg by explaining the letter that orchestrated this evening's meeting, then retreated humbly to his place at Meya's side. In a row they stood, four naughty children before disapproving parents. Eyes darting, thumbs twiddling, toes shivering. The hearth cooked their backsides as mum and dad's appraising stares sapped heat from their guilt-ridden cheeks.

At last, the Hadrian brothers caught their parents' eyes. The Baroness sighed softly as the Baron nodded. Coris blew a breath of relief as ice claws loosened their grip over his heart. He turned to Meya's parents, who still looked faint.

"I understand. It is an awful lot to take in." He sighed. Taking Meya's for once clammy hand in his and doing his best to rub blood back to her fingers, he raised his face, his voice stronger now, "We're due in court with His Majesty tomorrow, but I'll leave Meya with you. She'll fill you in on the rest."

Mirram and Alanna shared a wide-eyed look. Meya squeezed his hand, then traipsed towards them.

"Anything I can't say, Coris?" She paused for one last question.

"Outside of The Axel, you can tell them anything." Coris cocked his head, then, smiling slightly, "Although they may not need everything. Am I right, Farmer Hild?"

All eyes followed Coris's lead to the gruff old farmer. Mirram raised his gaze, delving deep into those sharp silvery eyes, but his fear was not for himself.

"You sent her my cloak," said Coris quietly, "That was intended, wasn't it?"

"Dad?" Meya whispered, eyes rounding under her frown. Mirram lowered his eyes to his hands gripping his knees. They were trembling. He was prepared for everything. For who could've imagined all this would follow?

"I knew nothing, milord." He said gravely, shaking his head, "I just thought 'tis time she faces her destiny. Time I let her—choose."

He choked out. Meya's glowing eyes wavered with a dozen emotions, a dozen questions, but Coris cut across her with a deep bow.

"And I will be grateful for that as long as I live." He surfaced, his voice weak with emotion, "Seven years, I've loved her. I love her now, and I will for as long as there is breath in me. Whether you deem me worthy, whether she lays her hand upon mine, I will love her regardless."

"Lexi—" Meya breathed. Coris placated her with a tender smile, then strode over to offer his mother a hand.

"We'll leave you to it, then." He signaled his leave as the Baroness rose and took his arm, nodding to each of the Hilds in turn, "Goodnight, Meya. Farmer Hild. Alanna."

Mirram and Alanna hurriedly stood up and bowed in farewell. The Hadrians filed past them, disappearing through the doorway with a good many flutters of blood red.

After a little rummaging around, Mum returned with a tub of ointment for Meya. Dad said nothing as Meya made herself comfortable on the carpet, dabbing absently at her swollen lip, stealing nervous glances at him still on his chair. He stared into the heart of the fire with glazed eyes. The tangles of his mustache and beard masked the shape of his mouth, but not his hollowed cheeks.

"You're thinner, Dad."

For a moment he didn't seem inclined to show he'd heard, but then life returned to his eyes.